Onken with Multiple Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am putting together a design utilizing 16 pieces of the MCM 55-1870 aluminum driver per side. I am on the fence whether to design this beast as a sealed or ported design, as the driver QTS is around 0.4. So far my initial ventures into a ported design need multiple ports for a sane design, so I decided to look at a possible Onken implementation. What does one change in the online Onken calculator to handle multiple drivers? These would be placed in a series-parallel arrangement (likely 4 parallel strings of 4 series drivers) to add up to an 8 ohm overall impedance.

If this has been beaten to death in another thread, please point me to it - so far, searches haven't come up with any paydirt.

I am putting together a design utilizing 16 pieces of the MCM 55-1870 aluminum driver per side. I am on the fence whether to design this beast as a sealed or ported design, as the driver QTS is around 0.4. So far my initial ventures into a ported design need multiple ports for a sane design, so I decided to look at a possible Onken implementation. What does one change in the online Onken calculator to handle multiple drivers? These would be placed in a series-parallel arrangement (likely 4 parallel strings of 4 series drivers) to add up to an 8 ohm overall impedance.

If this has been beaten to death in another thread, please point me to it - so far, searches haven't come up with any paydirt.

From my testing with Onken you can assume the same port tuning as a
Regular bass reflex. You can use WinISD to simulate multiple drivers and multiple rectangle ports. This driver has a 55Hz FS so don’t expect deep bass. What crossover point are you using?

I expect to use a subwoof, so lack of extreme bass extension is not a problem. I'll probably cross over above 100 Hz with an active setup. The original setup that inspired this was detailed in Audio magazine pre 1980, with multiple drivers to reduce doppler distortion.

All this is still in the messing about stage, with a lot of work to go before I touch a saw to wood.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.