On growing old (and keeping it up)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I do just enough excercise to stay healthy.... last year I did a comprehensive run of tests and one was a stress test on the heart..... result was that my heart is comparable to a male 18 years younger. It isnt how much but the right kind of excercise. I also take suppliments... you pretty much have to with food that has been depleted of nutriants. And, dont bother with GMO foods.... nothing good comes from them that I know of.. Being selective in what you eat and doing sufficient exercise and I am healthier than I was 20 years ago when I did neither... eat well nor exercised. Works well for me.

-RNM

Last edited:
but being a Chinese

Being Chinese, you have to work twice as hard at it.

My maintenance gardner/friend is a former pavement worker. 6'2'', 350lb*, 28-30 inch biceps.
Used to box years ago, has never been to a gym, but he works 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Works a fulltime job at private stables currently, does gardens and decoration pavement in his extra hours, or everything from digging holes and laying pipes if it comes up.
Also takes care of his own horses twice a day, at 5.30AM and each evening (14 Belgian draft horses).

* told me his his exact weight a week ago, he's waiting for a gastrectomy, compulsive crap eater, he's 52.

(my head is of an 18 year old, does that help ?)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
let me throw in just how effective it can be to exercise and eat right --- at 55 I was borderline on high blood pressure and cholesteral... and pre-diebetic (if there is such a thing). I couldnt last a minute on the tread mill. Last month my doctor said he had not seen good fasting blood suger levels like mine in more than 18 months in his office (mine was 87). Off BP meds. tried Staten drugs. Off everything. Stronger, more energy etc.

Its all about what foods you put into your body and proper exercise. That is all I did to improve everything. Now if I can loose a few pounds... all will be great.

-RNM

Ha ha, my problem is not exercise, it's my eating. I am on seefood diet. I see food, I eat food!!! I am still over weight with all the exercise!!!! But my BP and cholesterol is ok. I just did the Lifeline screening and everything came out good.

One think I would suggest to any of you "over the hill" guys, look into the Lifeline Screening. They give coupons and it's only $120 for 5 screening for clog artery, aneurism, bone density etc. Me and my wife do it ones every three years on top of the checkup.

You don't build muscle in the gym, you break it down, causing microtrauma to the muscle cells. You body will then repair the damage, and attempt to build the muscle bigger to survive the next occurrence. This is called recovery. Recovery takes time, and the time increases with age. If work a muscle hard enough to reach failure, or near failure, do not hit the same muscle at that level again for a while. 2 days for a twentysomething, 3 or 4 for a sixtysomething.

During recovery your body needs raw materials, and sleep to do it's repair work. Proteins especially the BCAAs are the raw materials needed for rebuilding, and calories are the fuel for the rebuilding engine. If any of the 3 are missing, or insufficient, especially in an older person, repair will not be optimal.

Immediately after hard exercise your body begins repair work. Muscles are thirsty, and hungry (glycogen depleted). There exists a window of opportunity to "force feed them" that lasts for an hour or two. I mix a scoop of BCAA powder with half a scoop of Gatorade powder in a 16 ounce bottle of water and drink it on my way out of the gym. The BCAA's are raw material for repair, and the sugar in the Gatorade helps restore glycogen, and raises your insulin levels, which directs the extra blood sugar into the muscles....all of this is mentioned in the above paper.

Eating your major protein meal about 2 hours later will put that protein where it is most needed.

Body Nutrition Trutein at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Trutein

Best-tasting stuff I've ever had. The Cinnabun really tastes like a Cinnabun...

For bars, I usually use Quest. 3g of sugar, unlike Powerbars or something else with as much as a Snickers...

that pretty much eliminated any desire for me to ever visit Hara Arena.

2011, I was there to see and smell the brown river flow through the flea market. Some numb nuts pounded a stake through the asphalt (expressly forbidden in the flea market contract) rupturing a water main. The water pressure built up under the pavement until it broke through taking a sewer pipe with it. Yes, there was a brown geyser spraying smelly stuff 6 feet in the air at first. Some say that a few toilets inside the buildings had erupted as well. After it became obvious that this wasn't going to be fixed quickly, I packed up the Honda and drove back to Florida.

2012, The best weather seen in 20 years of the Dayton Hamfest. 5 days of clear blue skies and 60 to 70 degrees. I converted 1 cubic Honda Element load of "stuff" into 3 K$ which will be used to build my new lab.

2013, One rainy day, 1 clear day, and 2 cloudy days. Another 3 K$ toward the new lab.

2014, Terrible weather, cold and rainy. High winds and a nearby tornado thinned the crowds, I was only there for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Less than 1K$ towards the new lab.

2015, I will see......

I have been going to hamfests for about 45 years. Many of the major hamfests, and most of the small ones no longer exist. Dayton is still the big one, but it is half of what it was in the 80's. The venue IS a dump, and the weather is a crap shoot, but I will keep going.

Body Nutrition Trutein at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Trutein.....For bars, I usually use Quest. 3g of sugar

Truetein looks like good stuff, but it is a bit out of my price range. The main valid marketing point is the use of 3 protein sources for a balanced time released delivery. I use budget whey protein for rapid absorption, usually right after a workout. Cottage Cheese is a good low cost source of casein and for egg or milk protein, I eat the real food.

Due to USDA regulation "sugar alcohols" do not count as carbs. Many protein bars disguise their true carb content by using sugar alcohols, primarily glycerin. Bars with too much glycerin can cause gastric upset in many people. I would rather eat sugar.

Quest bars, seem to be low (Stevia sweetened) or completely devoid of glycerin. At $2 per bar I doubt I will eat many of them. I don't eat too many protein bars, but I look for something with more protein that sugar and low glycerin at Sams club that is below $1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.