Omnidirectional midrange driver - will it work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

Some time ago I had an idea for an omnidirctional midrange driver complementing a 4Pi-style 360° ribbon tweeter. The conductors are placed vertically, like ribbons, lying between neodymium blocks. The retracting force is maintained by the folds, similar to a conventional spider. The surround material across the folds prevents the air from being pressed out. The whole construction is held by the upper and lower surround.
But I ask myself:
The air gap is narrower than the one of a ribbon, but wider than in dynamic drivers. Is the moving mass to high to get it done with today`s magnet technology?

Oliver

Attachments

• omni.jpg
    omni.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 483
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I believe that a T-shaped ribbon has been proved to work, also resulting in a narrow gap, but I am sure it has its own flaws too, one would be both flexibility and stability of the "ribbon", especially the the part in the gap could be suspect to instability, and the result could be high distortion

The conductors ("Leiterbahn") are placed in the edges of the folds, between the magnets, extending vertically. The force is applied to the surface by the V-shaped folds. The curvature has to be maintained by the cylinder itself, maybe aluminium, that´s why I have doubts about Mms.
Diameter is 12cm or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.