Old vinyl records problem voicing "s"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2019
Paid Member
A lot was ruined in the 'loudness wars'. I think, these days, things are improved, people seem to have got beyond that nonsense and are actually trying to remaster for a sound that's as close as possible to what the artists wanted. I suspect, in no small part, because the artists have much more control over their catalogue.

That was "big " in the ,70,s Pano --thin vinyl, all about making more money, it started off many small music businesses issuing their own LP,s in full weight vinyl .

Another sign of this was the easily warped LP,s that appeared on the second hand market you got seasick just watching them turn.

In the UK LInn ( Sondek ) came out with better quality LP.s ,others joined in.

Sibilance as some have said can be caused by the stylus coming away from the grove wall. And in my experience is most noticeable on female voices. Try increasing VFT if the sibilance reduces/goes away then the issue could be the suspension in the V15 is hardening with age.

If you have loading and RIAA correct then it must be a mechanical issue.

Wow, post 52 before anybody suggested more cartridge weight.
First thing I would have tried.
Damaged record is always a possibility, unless you bought it new in the shrink wrap.
Worth a look to take out the microscope and make sure the stylus hasn't fractured. Or worn to a chisel. I had a 1976? Grado FTE blow a big chunk of the diamond after 15 months use.
I'm using a 40 year old Shure M97 era IV, the price point below V15, and I only get SSSS sibulence on ATCO 45's which were recorded with rocket sized velocities to make them louder. My weight is always 1.5 g.
Age of cartridge can matter too, the rubber suspension can harden up and make the needle lose contact with the walls.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well he is using the recommend tracking force. But it should be easy to try and report back. Sibilance is mostly centered around 7K and that may be hard to track.

I just listened to a very beat up old Julie London LP and it SSSS on the peaks. Sounds like damage to me.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
> Age of cartridge can matter too, the rubber suspension can harden up and make the needle lose contact with the walls.

It's a common problem with older cartridges I think, though how the stylus was cleaned can also have an impact. IPA has been known to capillary up the cantilever and cause problems hardening the suspension 'rubber'.

Ortofon say there have been cases where they believe it has dissolved the glue that holds the diamond on the cantilever and therefore say don't use.

I have some second hand Ian Dury albums where sibilance makes them almost unlistenable, and it's down to wear / being played on a crappy record player / with a damaged stylus.

If it's a reissue and not *actually* ancient and worn (in which case there's not a lot you can do), try a CD from the same issue.

I've found a few records where the sibilance is 'built in' by insufficient de-essing, and is present on the CD as well. In this case, again, there's not much you can do except use a bit of judicious EQ.

Regards the V15, they were actually famed for their tracking ability, so unless it's damaged it isn't likely to be the fault of that!

Old vinyl records problem when singing "s" letter like a big hiss, I know I can do playing with the RIAA but I don't want a fixed solution, I want some kind of filter to plug in or out at my convinence depending the vinyl record.
it' a long known problem getting worse with riaa equalisation and compression;
modern studio technique uses a "de-esser" taking care of the problem.
cheers
A.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have some second hand Ian Dury albums where sibilance makes them almost unlistenable, and it's down to wear / being played on a crappy record player / with a damaged stylus.

It's always surprising how quickly mistracking can damage a record. During the 70's and 80's there was something of a craze for 'how low can you go' tracking weights. In no small part because people assumed that the down force was the cause of LP damage. Ahhh, we were fools then...

Some of my fathers vinyl from the 50s and early 60's has survived really well, despite what was used to play it. But it's on heavyweight battleship grade vinyl and cut generously.

Unlike the ghastly recycled plastic, so thin you can see through, it stuff I got to buy through the 70's and 80's. I have several LPs with sink holes, others with what looks like hair embedded in them. Some LPs I tried to replace four or five times before giving up.

I for one welcomed my digital CD overlords with open arms. Still got the vinyl though, and I'm ultrasonically cleaning and recording it.

During the 70's and 80's there was something of a craze for 'how low can you go' tracking weights.

I remember it well. It was almost a p1ssing contest, and if your cartridge tracked at 2g, you were an idiot. I had friends trying to track things like Grado FCE's at 0.75g on budget armed tables...

The Shure V15 needed extremely low friction arm bearings to utilise those low tracking forces, which is why so many were partnered with SME3009's.

I believe it depends on stylus shape and suspension. Light tracking is advisable when using VdH or Shibata or the records might wear too much. Conical tips can, if cartridge suspension is designed that way, be tracked at 3.5g (i.e. Shure SC35C or Denon DL102). When stylus is new or rubber is hardened you could leave the tip on the record, without the record turning, for a couple of hours like advised by Shure(Stylus break-in).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.