old newbe to digital files

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
folks can any of you steer me in the right direction?

recent thread start in tubes section for design advise had a member post something that since has me interested.
when i had mentioned a old pc as mp3, flac & dsd playback but have a 36db noise floor due to the fan in the pc.
he stated to ditch the pc and use a tablet or smart phone.

after a few days thinking now i'm wondering
how do i go about this?
not being very computer savy i'm not current on digital playback
but watching youtube where people press play on a tablet and it plays through there stereo setup.
i want to do that
i have a andorid tablet now
any thoughts on this would be great
thanks
gordie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are android apps that will allow you to connect a DAC to the tablet via the USB port on the tablet. I have a friend doing this with a Samsung S3 and it works fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en

The above will work with most high res dacs and flac, dsd, mp3 file formats.

Note that versions of Android later than 4.1 do provide some support for USB dacs but the results may vary and I believe high res files and bit rates are not supported.

I may eventually experiment with this on my Samsung S2

ok i guess i should have mentioned this

that app is on the tablet as i had the tablet in my car as a player but files are loaded on the tablet.
i have 369gig of music on a external hard drive.
this is what i use on the pc now
not knowing how to or where to start has me confused.
i guess what i'm really asking is what do i use so ext hard drive be still used with some other device that may exist.

see i thought a tablet was just a remote control of sorts and was the monitor to see files like foobar as player .
i have no idea

thanks
i have a usb dac i used in the car as well but not sure how to word this request
ever watch kendrick sound youtube speaker demos?
he uses a tablet wireless to play somehow.
so must be some unit that tablet is wifi connected to .
what are these digital music servers i see listed?
they look like computers in a stereo unit's chassis.
if they are why ditch a pc ?
this is a real stumbling block for me to understand

I just recently completed a project to replace the noisy PC with an "Orange Pi Plus" diyAudio server HTTPS page

It's an inexpensive ARM-based computer ($35) that runs either Android or any of several Linux distributions. I use it as a music server, though you can add a monitor, keyboard and mouse and use local applications. It has 4 USB 2.0 ports, gigabyte network, wifi, etc. No moving parts, so it's totally silent. Needs 5 volts at 2 amps, so a small wall-wart is plenty of power.

I just recently completed a project to replace the noisy PC with an "Orange Pi Plus" diyAudio server HTTPS page

It's an inexpensive ARM-based computer ($35) that runs either Android or any of several Linux distributions. I use it as a music server, though you can add a monitor, keyboard and mouse and use local applications. It has 4 USB 2.0 ports, gigabyte network, wifi, etc. No moving parts, so it's totally silent. Needs 5 volts at 2 amps, so a small wall-wart is plenty of power.

this sounds interesting
but click on your like and will not open says page not found

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ok i guess i should have mentioned this

that app is on the tablet as i had the tablet in my car as a player but files are loaded on the tablet.
i have 369gig of music on a external hard drive.
this is what i use on the pc now
not knowing how to or where to start has me confused.
i guess what i'm really asking is what do i use so ext hard drive be still used with some other device that may exist.

see i thought a tablet was just a remote control of sorts and was the monitor to see files like foobar as player .
i have no idea

I don't think the single USB port has sufficient bandwidth to handle an external drive and a DAC. I could be mistaken, but a better plan would be to select the 128GB of music you like most and put that on a micro sd card that should plug right into a memory slot on your tablet. Possibly the tablet will take a larger card, but probably not.

guys thank you my mind is exploding
1 i never knew micro sd could hold music
jplesset i'm more confused then ever . there is no way that board that cheap has had me held back. i'm behind the 8 ball
can't for the life of me get the size of my pc and see the size of that card and think it can do all that and more wow.
the biggest thing is how can you see and pick tracks with this card?

GKF, indeed, the board is very inexpensive and it's very small. Seeing and picking tracks for me is easy, since I use the OrangePi as a "server". I pick tracks and playlists on my laptop, or desktop, tablet or phone with an application that runs there, and lets the software in the Pi know what I want. Anybody can install different software on it, add monitor, keyboard and mouse, and use it directly. Linux offers several different players that resemble the Windows players you're already familiar with.

Actually, if you look inside your PC, it's mostly air inside... Much of the contents are there because of the "general purpose" design of a PC, not because all the pieces really need to be there.

Software running on the Pi: MPD (Music Player Daemon), Ecasound, Sox. These are all free packages available for most Linux distributions. If you're not using the Pi as a crossover, you don't need Ecasound or Sox, just MPD.
I have MPD configured to use my remote music store, though that's not the only option. You can also use it to play a stream from outside, such as an internet radio source.

My laptop runs "Arduino", an easy to use client for MPD. Yes, it's free, too. Runs on PC. There are dozens of MPD client applications, even ones that run on the server you interact with like a web page.

With all that the Pi is doing, it's still sitting there mostly idle. In my case, 85% idle, and that includes doing the DSP crossover and eq.

This isn't a "package" that you can get, all set up. It took me a couple weeks to figure everything I needed to do out. I am happy to help anybody that wants to head in this direction.

guys with this i know i have a lot to learn .
but i think that this is exactly what i have always wanted but could not explain it.
i scoured through that web site over and over , and it's hard for a non computer person to get this .
but after reading lots of the use facts i think i have a basic understanding.
this could be mounted in a preamp size chassis and make it look like another component.
all i really expect it to do is play the files on my ext drive and be silent.
i'll keep reading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.