Old Microphone Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening all,,, I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but this cool mic came with an old Webster Electronics amp, & look what I see when I open the capsule,,, diaphragm & internals seems to be all there, but the 2 wires coming from the small tranny, are disconnected from the 2 solder joints at that wafer beneath the magnet. How would I determine which wire goes where? I s'pose one way would be is to wire it & see if it's OOP with another known 'correct' mic,,, but is there any other telltale sign from before my time?
Thanks all & be well
Kenny

Attachments

• 20200825_203858.jpg
    20200825_203858.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200825_203816.jpg
    20200825_203816.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 127
second thread about the same topic....
it appears to be an old carbon cell mike with a missing battery, some of the better one's had provisions for the connection of an external supply but most employed mercury cells which where prone to leakage which can be a toxic hazard.

the most common place where carbon cell mic's where used was in telephone handsets those used the phone line voltage as their power source.

Last edited:
without a battery physical shock/tapping is about all you'll get, if there's loose carbon granules.

you could recycle the case by dropping a different mic capsule in there.

i've put SM57 or 58 capsules into those, harmonica players love them because the shape is easy to hold.

I think typical 600 ohm DCR for a carbon mic would discharge any battery, specially a tiny one, real quick.
As in hours.
Telephones of course have an endless supply from the Telephone Company, same some WW2 mikes which were fed from a car battery or equivalent.
If that´s a carbon mike, I guess it´s fed from the matching PA amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.