• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

oil injected rca cables?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Snake Oil cables presumably?

I use di-lithium crystal cables myself. Don't need an amplifier then.

Waiting for cryo anti-matter cables next. Great for "Booooooom" boxes.

Or dark matter cables, can't see them. Got me on how to connect them up though. At least you can't trip over them. Gotta be a great sales scheme though, just sell empty boxes for $100.

Don:D

ChopperCharles said:
Err... that's just a gimmick, right? That can't possibly do anything...

Charles.

It will be really helpful if you provide more background info so that evil people don't assume you're just a regular cable troll.

So, where do you and your ears stand?

1. you hear a difference between solid core and multistrand cables but don't think oil damping is audible

2. you hear a difference between silver and copper but don't think oil damping is audible

3. you hear a difference between insulation materials but don't think oil damping is audible

4. you hear a difference between component stands and footers but don't think oil damping is audible

5. you hear a difference between your ipod and your neighbour's wave radio but don't think oil damping is audible

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you could figure out how to keep it from leaking, the oil should have some effect on reducing microphonics, and different oil might have interesting dielectric properties. So one can't outright dismiss them.

I did get to try some oil filled interconnects someone brought to last years VI diyFEST. The only impression i got was that they were kind of ungainly to use. I much prefer my O'Netics "shoe-lace" interconnects (i have all the parts to diy something similar, but lack of time makes it easy to just pop for these -- they are also cheaper than my time to build a pair -- still i will eventually).

dave

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi.
A few months ago I bought some similar to this:-

Home Theater RCA Audiophile Interconnect Silver CABLE P
Ebay Item number: 220185066257

I also bought some silver (metal, not colour!) ribbon type.
My points :-
1. They are very cheap, oil filled £25 then, ribbon £16. inc shipping per 1m pair so worth a punt.
2. I can hear only a small difference between the oil filled and the ribbon, poss a bit smoother. I do not put this down to the oil.
The oil filled is quite inflexable and the connectors, which have an outer metal sleeve around the contact fingers make it difficult to form the fingers down a bit, as they are not a very good fit, but this can be done.
3. After much testing, of both types, compared to high end, named copper cables costing £200- £300 these were just as good or better. The named then went onto E'Bay !
4. The silver ribbon speaker cables @ £25 for 8ft pair also good for mids/tweeters.
From all this I think, that silver is better than copper for cables, nothing else.
Hope this helps.

Psychobiker said:
How can oil (which is used in caps...) reduce capacitance when acting as a mildly capacitive dilectric?!

Everything, and even nothing, that isnt a conductor is such. Capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates (conductors) multiplied by the dielectric constant (K).

K of a few things
Vacuum=1
Air= ever so slightly more than 1
Teflon=~2
Polypropylene=2.2
Polystyrene=~2.5
Mineral oil, Squibb=2.7
Mylar=3.2

The sound of the cable all depends if it's 10W-30 of 10W-40! I really get a kick out of some of the c*r*a*p that people buy. How about gold plated fuses? Or idiots that eliminate the fuse all together and burn their house down! And bone-heads that can tell a difference by lifting the cables off the carpet a few inches. Parts Connexion sells a lot of that garbage.

TubeHead Johnny said:
The sound of the cable all depends if it's 10W-30 of 10W-40! I really get a kick out of some of the c*r*a*p that people buy. How about gold plated fuses? Or idiots that eliminate the fuse all together and burn their house down! And bone-heads that can tell a difference by lifting the cables off the carpet a few inches. Parts Connexion sells a lot of that garbage.

So I need to buy the ones with synthetic oil if I used them to connect solid sate devices?

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.