Ohms wiring question: How does the tweeter fit in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting ready to order some speakers for my first diy project and am wondering how the tweeters fit into the whole ohms equation, (I know, really basic question). I need between 6-8 ohms total and was planning on some MTM's using two 4 ohm Dayton or Vifa woofers, wired series to get 8 ohm. Ok, what about the tweeter, how does that affect things? Do I need two 8 ohm woofers wired series (16 ohm) and then a 4 ohm tweet wired parallel to add up to 8 ohm? Again I know, a really basic question but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

Thanks! I'm planning on using someone else's design for the first time out and have been reading a ton about crossovers but haven't found a whole lot of info as to how it actually translates into loads. So I'd be fine with two 4ohm woofers and an 8ohm tweeter then?

Yes. 2 4-ohm woofers in series, and an 8-ohm tweeter, would be just fine.

What you have to understand is that the resistance you measure with your multimeter is DC resistance; but your amplifier sends out AC signals. So you have to keep track of what the impedance of the speaker is at and frequency you expect the amplifier to reproduce.

In a very simple example, you put an inductor in series with the woofer, and a capacitor in series with the tweeter, then hook those two circuits up in parallel. The inductor's impedance goes up with frequency, and the capacitor's impedance goes down. So, as far as the amplifier is concerned, the tweeter is 8 ohms, but only above the crossover frequency, and the woofer is only 8 ohms below the crossover frequency, and the combined load is about 8 ohms over the whole frequency spectrum.

8 + 8 = 8. (And it works, too!)

If you are building some existing design you will need to follow it exactly: same woofers, tweeter, crossover and hookup. So, what do you mean Dayton or Vifa? You don't have a choice but to use what they used.

Your question on crossover, then, becomes meaningless. Your only concern is whether the impedance of the systems falls into the 6-8 ohm range that you have somehow determined is acceptable.

I've seen a few different plans, some using Daytons and some using Vifas. I'll probably do the Daytons based purely on cost for the first time out. And as far as the load, it's what my receiver requires. I really don't have an interest in putting a few 4ohm speakers on an amp that likes only 6-8ohm loads. ;) Thanks for the input guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.