OH great DIYers and engineers. Lookin for amp kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for an entry level SS amp design I currently have a nice SET setup and a HT setup using a denon 3805. I would like to try my hand at building an amp but I would like a kit so I don't have to sourse out parts and I don't have to build a chassie. If I had the skill I would be looking at the Pass or leach amps but I think that may be a bit much. The only thing I am looking for is an amp that will be a large step up from the 3805s internal amp. I have relativly effecient speakers so I don't need huge power. Just good sound.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
DJNUBZ said:
I am looking for an entry level SS amp design I currently have a nice SET setup and a HT setup using a denon 3805. I would like to try my hand at building an amp but I would like a kit so I don't have to sourse out parts and I don't have to build a chassie. If I had the skill I would be looking at the Pass or leach amps but I think that may be a bit much. The only thing I am looking for is an amp that will be a large step up from the 3805s internal amp. I have relativly effecient speakers so I don't need huge power. Just good sound.

Many of the amps dicussed here will easily surpass the sound of the Denon 3805 and by quite a margin too.

Take a look at these:

http://www.sound.westhost.com/project101.htm
http://www.sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm

Both are fairly simple to make, with the first timer in mind and yet they sound superb, not the last word in amps but certainly considered as high-end. You can buy the boards from Rod (the guy who runs the site) for next to nothing. Have a word with him via email if your interested. Very helpful chap and will answer any questions you may have, he'll even help, via email, you whilst your building it.

Or you could simply order a completed amp from places like BMM Electronics, Profusion UK etc.

DJNUBZ said:
Could you guys tell me how much on avg. it costs to build these amps?

The cost can vary widely. For the ESP Project 101, the PCB's will set you back about $60 with shipping. Transformer about $50-$60. Matched MOSFETs about $35-$40. Heatsinks $25-$100 depending where you get them. Nice case maybe $40-$100. The rest of the componants maybe $75-$150 depending on where you buy them and what grade you buy.

I think there is a company called ASKA that sells thing pretty complete but I'm not sure. You might use the search engine and find something.

Blessings, Terry

Jacco,

You shame me!! The Glass Harmony, while my best amp, is not a commercial product as its energy dissipation of 150W for 28W output is simply outrageous. :hot:

However, it occurs to me that any European with a large displacement Chev V8 clearly enjoys big, outrageous things, nothing succeeds like excess, no?? :clown:

If it is any consolation, I'm working on a bridged SE, fully balanced Glass Harmony, with tube input stage and inductive loading. It will dissipate around 360W (9A @ 20V per channel) but power will be a far higher 45W per channel. In this Class D world, however, I'm not so sure it will be popular, either.......:xeye:

Cheers,

Hugh

Well, i am in the class D forum learning that new (Old) thing.

And learning slowly.

I am not visiting this forum as i made in the past.... learning something different.

And waiting someone that can face AKSA in one fair comparison blind testing.

If someone could do that, i am interested in the schematic.

But please, before send me schematic, have sure that beat AKSA 55, because many have tried, and no one could do it.

Send me directly, please do not send new designs, untested designs, things that you think is good..... put it to other people, outside forum normal people, to judge in a fair comparison, and after, send me, please, the schematic.

While this do not happen, i am studying class D and speakers, as related class A i will stay with JLH and Graham Maynard, and AB i will stay with AKSA.

I am talking about solid state, class AB amplifiers, around 100 watts power, using BJT only.

nanabrother@yahoo.com

Carlos

quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ
Could you guys tell me how much on avg. it costs to build these amps?

The cost can vary widely. For the ESP Project 101, the PCB's will set you back about $60 with shipping. Transformer about $50-$60. Matched MOSFETs about $35-$40. Heatsinks $25-$100 depending where you get them. Nice case maybe $40-$100. The rest of the componants maybe $75-$150 depending on where you buy them and what grade you buy.

Actually the P101 boards are still on sale 2x US$17 = $34. L-Mosfets from www.diy-tech.com $US10.50/pair. Encllosure from www.par-metal.com ~ US$50. Sometimes they can be salvaged from old comm equipment, (routers, switches, servers) that are being dumped out. Transformers and heatsinks can often be found on E-bay at very good prices if you know for sure what you need and are patient.

Anyway, the cost can be held down quite a bit (without sacrificing sound) if you are resourceful.

sam9 said:

Actually the P101 boards are still on sale 2x US$17 = $34. L-Mosfets from www.diy-tech.com $US10.50/pair. Encllosure from www.par-metal.com ~ US$50. Sometimes they can be salvaged from old comm equipment, (routers, switches, servers) that are being dumped out. Transformers and heatsinks can often be found on E-bay at very good prices if you know for sure what you need and are patient.

Anyway, the cost can be held down quite a bit (without sacrificing sound) if you are resourceful.

Oops, you’re right. I forgot that I bought three boards from ESP. They cost me $61 with shipping. So, take $17 off of that price for two boards.

MOSFETS at $10.50 per pair times four pair for two boards is $42 + shipping. Higher than I stated.

I bought my transformers on ebay and the prices I listed are within what I have seen.

Sorry if my ranges were too large but I was just listing what I have observed during my short time in this hobby. I would hate to give someone the idea that this stuff is cheap. From what I've seen, the guys who can build cheap are the ones with much experience and probably a pretty good stockpile of goodies to get them started. Each thing I tackle is getting cheaper for me because I'm learning from my mistakes and getting to know folks who can point me in the direction of a good deal here and there.

I don't want to discourage, just trying to be realistic.

Blessings, Terry

The AKSA 55 was my first kit amp, purchased because it included all the parts (except heatsink and transformers) and secondarily because I couldn't find a bad word about it. Even Nelson Pass gave it the nod.

I have a couple BrianGT LM3875 amps, while really easy and cheap to build (like 12 parts per channel?), they don't sound quite as good as the AKSA even with the tweaky $5 resistors.

I don't mean to harsh the gainclone buzz (they're fun) but if your budget can handle the AKSA, you won't be disappointed.

I don't know for sure, but I think the easy way to get started in the hobby and produce something that works when you plug it in might be a chipamp.

1. Few discreet parts.
2. No matching of FETs
3. No parts scavenger hunt unless you want to.
4. Possibility to buy almost everything else at RS or PE.
5. The greatest possibility of initial success.

You can build and test on a discarded piece of 2 by 6. The ESP products (and Rod's site is a goldmine of technical information) are great as is the AKSA. But what we are talking about is

If I had the skill I would be looking at the Pass or leach amps but I think that may be a bit much.

Brian's stuff will virtually assure success and hook this guy.

A key question is how much DIY experience does DJNUBZ have? If DJNUBZ built any of that SET rig and if funds allow, then the AKSA is worth the extra effort.

If no DIY experience and/or limited budget, a BrianGT setup would be a good place to start, no doubt.

I had only built a stock Foreplay before tackling the AKSA. Mine came out on the first try and my foreplay still doesn't sound right.

Chipco's bullet list doesn't really describe the AKSA. In the case of the AKSA, the increased number of components is the tradeoff for higher quality. Otherwise 2-5 could describe the AKSA.

Hugh Dean and AKSA

I had the pleasure of talking with Hugh from AKSA yesterday, and although (as a complete amateur) I probably asked a lot of silly questions, he spent a great deal of time discussing my requirements and offering his advice.
There may be more simple projects out there, but from what I hear regarding the level of instructions that come with the kit, why bother? It seems like you are almost guarenteed success.

I have searched for all the options available to me as an amateur kit amp builder, and I honestly believe that the AKSA range is the best place to start. Aside from the enjoyment of building your own amp with the help of extremely thorough instructions, you end up with what many (everyone?) believe to be an extremely good sounding amp.

edit: I think it is worth noting that many people hav described AKSA amps as the best "bang for buck" component they have purchased.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.