• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Octal driver tube choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
My build is close to starting. I'll have my iron from Dave Slage in 2-3 weeks, and I want to get right on it.
2 stage IT coupled triode strapped SE EL84 or SV83. Dave is building the IT based upon either the 6922( 6-7 ma ) or the 6n1p_EV ( 10 ma ) driving the EL84. I really liked both tubes in my prior amp ( same config but lesser iron ), but I've read about the so-called magic of the 8 pin octal tubes. I've never heard them, but for those of you who could offer useful advice, here goes.

Keep as is w/ the 6922 or 6N1P. I use both NOS high quality Russian versions of both tubes right now, but if I decide to go the 6922 route, the European NOS varieties will be sought. Or,

look at an octal version around the same specs that will do the job better. I'm not familiar w/ the octals, so I'd like to rely on the collective wisdom of this group. Only thing is please don't recommend something I can't get a good stock of. NOS prices are of no concern.
The best sonics ( I know that's highly subjective ) are the only concern.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Crazy Bill

I would add the 'magic' of Russian tubes is exaggerated too.
Unless you get the "special-selected" (aka passed by military grade) they are non-stable on parameters, and the difference between halves is mostly beyond any acceptance - that's the curse every Russian DIY-er has to deal with so many of them are trying to get rather the US-made stuff... but very few can afford such.
The post-soviet European manufacturers are way better (and honest) e.g. JJ.

The "sound" of your IT is going to be the absolute dominant part of your overall project, and will swamp the input of a sensible choice like the 6922. I think you will have an excellent amp in the end since IT coupled amps tend to sound very good when the IT's response is adequately flattened (look out for untamed resonances). I wouldn't sweat it going for OCTAL's.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.