OBERTON drivers ? If yes, why not anyone using them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oberton 10MI 250, 12L Pro (similar to 12L 300) and 15B 450 measured on axis, in the box with front panel recessed so diffraction is present. Anyway, measured frequency response is similar to the factory data.
Sorry, it was so long ago, actually it was 12L Pro, not 12B 400.

I can get Oberton 12B400 for 100 euro (125 US$) a piece and it looks fine looking at the factory data. Little more expensive than in surrounding countries but still ok. Other Oberton speakers are available to me as well. That 10" looks really good as far as frequency response is concerned. I might consider it.

Can you say something about measuring conditions (in cabinets, on infinite baffle...) ?

Thanks Sonce :)

Last edited:
I am searching how to and where from to get Oberton 15NMB35. It must be a seller shipping to austria at reasonable cost or located there. I need 2 PCS for 2 x 15 inch 3 way speaker. If I don't get it, eighteensound will get the "business" with either 15W750, 15W700 or 15ND830. All of them are good speakers, but the Oberton got my attention due to highest reference efficiency.

What I'm looking for is a coaxial 8" driver that's good for a project that's looking to destroy anything in the High End of loudspeakers under ten grand. The BMS holds a place close to my heart for anything like this for it's ring diaphragm compression driver, which I have some experience with. So I need much justification to go with the Oberton, which isn't that much cheaper than the BMS...

The Oberton 8CNX is an extremely good coaxial 8" driver. I used it in my cabinet for bassguitar, but it can also be used as a studio monitor because it sounds better then all the hifi loudspeakers I've designed/build. The woofers are also Oberton, the 10B200. In the past I used Eminence a lot but the stuff from Oberton is on a whole different level (IMO).
Btw. the voice-coil former of the unit that I have doesn't stick out like someone mentioned here.

In the measurement you see the response of the coax with cross-over under a 15degree angle. Cross-over points are 400hz/1.8khz.

Attachments

• AKS_01.jpg
    AKS_01.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 569
  • coax met filter versie II 15graden.JPG
    coax met filter versie II 15graden.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 500
  • coax met filter versie II 15graden decay.JPG
    coax met filter versie II 15graden decay.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
I've settled on 1k for the moment. Response smoothness is similar to the Oberton but starts falling off at 14k due to the large diaphragm. I've only been using them above 200hz for the most part. Quite a fan of coaxials now!

Me too, especially since I've build that loudspeaker with the two 10" drivers supporting the 8" coax in the lows. When you play well recorded music through this loudspeaker it sounds incredible life-like and even on high volumes they will never fatigue your ears, incredible low distortion. I think they can rival most 10K hifi loudspeakers.

IMO a well designed coaxial loudspeaker in conjunction with a good cross-over just sound more "real" and coherent then conventional systems.

Last edited:
Definitely agree on the more "real" aspect. Could never get a seos 12 based speaker to sound as real. Was playing around with rephase yesterday and the difference is very minimal. Leads me to believe the major difference is physical layout.

I've been looking at the BMS for years. Just need to pull the trigger already lol.

I like high power designs for pa use that can rival studio monitors. This is one that looks very nice.

https://soundforums.net/threads/11317-New-DIY-Mid-High

Different design but similar concept.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8VdGdGeIg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.