OB Wool vs 703 Fiberglass ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone used 703 fiberglass ,as Ethan describes , to cover the rear of the baffle. I have made several room treatments and Bass busters as described with 703 . I covered the glass with a porous material and they are cheap ,nice looking and effective. A fraction of the cost of the commercial variety. I was considering 2 " 703 on the back of the baffle covered with material. What about wool felt / glass combination? Also , I do not recall ever reading a discussion on the rear wall. Some of us have drywall / plaster/ any number of materials that reflect and absorb at different rates . That said does treating the wall behind the OB with for example 1" 703 glass and fabric has a positive effect allowinf me to place the speaker closer to the wall or am I off base here and simply up to late ( after midnight here)http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#diffusers and absorbers

I have no experience GregOH1 but my partner has recently begun working for an insulation company which has given me a chance to read some of their literature. The best absorption seems to come from rockwool batting. I am not sure if this would produce a lot of dust over time though and the sales reps there have not been helpful on this matter. Rockwool batts in various ratings are more expensive than fibreglass. Both appear to be better than polyester batts. I have been wondering about a panel of this on the rear wall, behind the baffles.
jamikl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.