OB my way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What can I say?.....
. around 99 db SPL
. benign 8 ohms load
. not bass compensation needed at all (some settings in the room needed a few minus clicks for bass!! )
. Baffles completed in two days
. One 8x4 ft phenolic coated plywood sheet (used to cast cement) cut in four to make two 4x2 ft baffles (1.5" section)
. 2241H exact replica (except for little higher Qts, he he!) 18" really an Iron fist in a silk glove...
.10MB1P Selenium 10" Mid felt chassis treated (e x e p t i o n a l)
.D220TI (Flat, from 1k to 21K) (e x e p t . . . . . )
.300 - 2K Xover (from other set, not it's own yet)
the little 30w/ch AIWA used to test no lit 2w led and it was seriously loud
Sorry, no more words... Music waits for me....
Cheers
Marcelo

Attachments

• mar1 084cc.jpg
    mar1 084cc.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,626
Hi Gainphile! Thanks for your comment! I'll tell you that is the first driver I find that is truly transparent, seamless integration with the other drivers.... even without any CD EQ!! Here I can't talk any more about Low-mids and highs.... only a huge Caterpillar of music coming... (or an Aston Martin driven by Bond, yes James Bond, if you like!!!)
More pics coming....
Cheers,
Marcelo

Hi sdclc126! Here you can see... They are from a good prject I made some years ago, an interesting 3 way "multi" (It could be used as BR or Sealed and many degrees between) it has LPG titanium tweeters (ruler flat, no nasty breakups), Vifa P13MH (astounding mid), and..... a 12" JVC n.o.s. replacement for ZERO 6 of the 80's (YES, JAPAN!!!)
It seams a tube amp near the speakers.... I'll put some led....

Attachments

• mar1 098cc.jpg
    mar1 098cc.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Thanks Ed! Actually I'd been there!!! in the triamp land, had a Behringer set up with a CX3400 xover, one EP 2500 and two EP 1500!!! To "attack" the Boxes described above. Money rules and I sold all those watts, and main concern ar fans!! (I lowered their speed), all in all sounded very, very good.... but .... now I reach same levels with 1W, and with all that OB black magic!!. Before... I got Crazy every time I was listening, because I couldn't stop resetting some of the too much parameters, a tic here, a tac there and so on....
Cheers from the now chilling south (good time for an Irish cofee, here)
Marcelo

You're right Nuuk! And you win freedom from Powe-r-ace, giving chance to any (far higher count now) good sounding amp to guide homogeneously all the audio frequency spectrum, to a level not reached by means of power alone (with low spl speakers). So my friends, THE recipe is: High efficient OB... musique!!
Cheers....
Marcelo

Well, some tests later, I have to share some interesting thing... There's no way to get the full Dipole potential IF any of the drivers isn't working as a dipole. I used different tweeters to generate a 180º out of fase backward emmision and at last found these ones that suited perfectly to make a similar dispersion pattern a few dbs lower to the back.....
In few words AIR , Transparency but still very well defined soundstage and imaging...... Thinking about Gainphile post above , next step for Emerald Physics CS2's upgrade, surely. Next for me are T-bass networks From Graham Maynard (Thanks Graham for your inspiration, Transformers were ordered!) So, I'll keep you informed!..
Cheers,
Marcelo

Attachments

• mar3 199cc.jpg
    mar3 199cc.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 862
Hi Marcelo,

Thanks for showing. The "high efficienct OB... musique" recipe does work.
I like your re-use of the large driver cut-out to better time align the 10" above.

When I get nearer to finishing my own effort, I too will be felting the mid-high basket frames. I plan to make the felt into a forward pointing wedge in order to air-flow as well as damp reflections.

Must agree with you about the extra rear tweeter - a separate one on the rear to balance a purely forward acting one. I know it has been done before and it does increase 'air' without actually modifying the directly perceived forward radiation.

(I expect you to say bad words when you hear the T-bass plus large Pro spec driver on a dipole, I still do; though you will need to rebalance your LF crossover afterwards. This combination makes all bass enclosures sound like very poor relations. However, the T-bass circuit increases LF output by transforming LF impedance, so hope your Aiwa is okay to drive lower impedance. Good Luck.)

Cheers ......... Graham.

Marmotus said:
What can I say?.....
. around 99 db SPL
. benign 8 ohms load
. not bass compensation needed at all (some settings in the room needed a few minus clicks for bass!! )
. Baffles completed in two days
. One 8x4 ft phenolic coated plywood sheet (used to cast cement) cut in four to make two 4x2 ft baffles (1.5" section)
. 2241H exact replica (except for little higher Qts, he he!) 18" really an Iron fist in a silk glove...
.10MB1P Selenium 10" Mid felt chassis treated (e x e p t i o n a l)
.D220TI (Flat, from 1k to 21K) (e x e p t . . . . . )
.300 - 2K Xover (from other set, not it's own yet)
the little 30w/ch AIWA used to test no lit 2w led and it was seriously loud
Sorry, no more words... Music waits for me....
Cheers
Marcelo

Hi,
I believe your 99dB spl above 100hz is achievable, and drops like a rock below that based on this kind of speaker arrangement. In my own OB with double 15" on each side I'd have to boost 20dB to achieve 97dB to catch up with my double Visaton B200 mids. With the bass boost I'm quite flat to 20hz.

cheers.

Hi and Thanks for your replies!!

Graham:
Felt smoothes a little hill around 800hz related to dimensions of basket and distance to the cone, afterwards FR became ruler flat from 200 to 5k (very useful to 2-3k for this application, but to leave the horn-mid distance near lambda I'm gona cut lower in the future, near 1.5k). The private Aiwa was dismissed!... Old Colonel Teac is in charge... I hope it could stand the T-bass affaire!....

Will:
This setup is ultra revealing and chaging amps resulted in a big step towards bass loudness and extension. I don't know why, but I'm using it Flat now (to overcome some hiss of the tone amp, minimal but noticeable with so sensitive horns in a nearfield use) I only tweaked xover to adjust levels to woofer's response.
When put in their final location I'll mesure FR ...

See the old faithful below

Cheers
Marcelo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.