OB consisting on 2 Eminence Alpha 15"s and B&G Radia RDxx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rudolf:
Since I am using a big multichannel amp, wiring the alphas in series will not present a problem load to the amp.. and by larger, I also mean capable of dealing with complex loads too. I have another suggestion for You to consider, if it is not too much trouble.. What if I connect 2 alphas in one channel each and the other 2 in the other 2 channels with the other drivers in a 3 way passive XO, still using the active XO only for the 2 lower alphas? Will it be like a 3 1/2 way speaker? Now, about the midrange baffle, I did not get clearly what to do with it... Do I make it the same as the rest or do you recommend a larger area but not completely as the main baffle? Also, I can see the point where the mid and bass meet, but cannot establish the XO point of the W-M transition... Any more light or simplification so I can clear my idea a little bit will be very appreciated.

Last edited:
If you can dedicate one amp channel solely to the woofers, level problems can easily be solved by changing the input sensibility of that channel. I would stay with parallel woofers then.
The woofers will start to roll off at 200 Hz (at the upper end). The small midrange baffle will probably not reach down enough to meet a crossover below 400 Hz. Widening the midrange baffle to the width of the U frame will do that. You will have to measure the actual response of both woofer and mid driver to find the best fitting filter type and order. If you want to minimize the diffraction issues of such a wide baffle, you could experiment with narrower baffles, as long as they allow a decent Xover point.

Rudolf

I have a 4 channel amp.. I assigned 2 woofers to one ch, 2 woofers to another on, an the mid and high to the other 2 channels.. I can run the woofers either parallel or series on that channel. the active XO has output levels adgust for each channel and the variable XO point knob. What I cannot do is to set 2 different XO points with that active XO, unless I make a passive one for the mid-high section and use the active for the low pass. the active XO has a 24db/oct slope at the cut point selected in the knob. only an unit like the behringer 2496 allows me to cut lows at 200hz, while selecting 400hz for the mids..but my complaint is that it will add AD/AD conversion in the process and limited to 24/96khz, which affects playing my 24/192khz files...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.