NXP i.mx RT600 as a USB DSP

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to build a USB DSP to accompany my Class-D AMP I build a few months ago. It uses an Infineon ma12070p chip and is basically the reference design for a fully digital two-channel amp with I2S input. link
The idea is to have 2 active desktop/bookshelf speakers with full streaming capabilities (USB, Analog IN, Digital IN and maybe some network streaming options) with DSP crossover and room correction, feeding a 2-channel AMP over I2S.
While looking for options I started with an implementation based on the FreeDSP project (aurora) using an ADAU chip for the DSP and an XMOS 208/216 for the USB I2S stream. Due to the availability of the parts, the ADAU implementation is not so attractive anymore, and the XMOS chip is generally very expensive and I don't like the provided IDE.

I came across the NXP I.MX RT MCU chip family and was wondering if this would be the candidate. The RT600 has an M33 and a HIFI4 cadence core. The documentation seems good and chips are available. Instead of an expensive evaluation kit, the teensy 4.1 can be used, it features a very similar chip from the same family. Depending on DSP processor power and IO functionality, the RT1024 could be used, if I choose to hand solder.
The chips can be programmed in C-like language and have support for Zephyr, so there should be a community out there to help with that.

Has anyone tried these chips for a DSP/DAC project or is interested in doing so? Every help is appreciated.

Best Fabian