Notre Dame cathedral

Well I assume that we're all allowed to have an opinion this topic I expect. Put me down for being happy for it to burn to the ground for all that it has represented past, present, and future. As long as the Hunchback is okay I'm good with it :) And no I'm not trying to derail the thread and nor will I respond to my statement if challenged, I stand by it. Carry on. Cheers.

Well I assume that we're all allowed to have an opinion this topic I expect. Put me down for being happy for it to burn to the ground for all that it has represented past, present, and future. As long as the Hunchback is okay I'm good with it :) And no I'm not trying to derail the thread and nor will I respond to my statement if challenged, I stand by it. Carry on. Cheers.

I do not think he's okay, he's homeless and he must be wandering around the sordid slums of Paris .....:(

Attachments

• 67aab6a24f94f883f60a0525c244df87.jpg
    67aab6a24f94f883f60a0525c244df87.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 167
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
We are living great times, even the most stupid human beings can express an opinion.
You can not burn whic is empty, halas beautifull things can be burnt, even if it is the symbol of a town or simply a symbol of what people can do sometimes, making beautifull things.
But yeah let s love the stupid and the camel they are supersonicly above...

Since we are audio hobbyists, let me bring up a different aspect: imagine you inherited an old radio receiver with inlay wooden cabinet, vintage tubes, woven front grille and all that. But it does not work, and you want to restore it in and out. You can't find the original silk braided wires, paper capacitors, carbon resistors any more, not even the grille fabric, missing wooden parts, etc. What do you replace them with?
Do you want a function close to the original, or do you want a mimic of the original look, or both? Or do you want to listen to radio programmes on a modern receiver instead?
One thing is sure: after restoration the Notre Dame will not be the same as before, but it has never been a static monument, it has changed in the past centuries. Each addition, modification, restoration was done using the state of the art technology of its age. Today they look ancient, then they were high tech.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
We are too much involved by the tech, but it s not an end, it s just a tool. The building was not made to be high Tech symbol. High tech was just used as a way to convince and make huge. Now destination has changed for most people, now it s more about the art symbol of a time.
If we follow your example you may want to add some Pollocks or street art grafiti on an old painting to restore it because it s newer. Viollet le duc didn t put modern art on it...it just had tech constraint then did his best to integrate a gothic look.
What they have to do is to conserve the beauty of this art thing as it was always the case, few liberties took from the beginning till Viollet le Duc were some minor details. Spire was not a detail but close to the sprit and a perfect integration. All the project seen for the moment are not pretty and are like to add 2 silicon boobs to an old lady...many chance it looks like mauvais gout. It s not if it was a museum or a standalone thing, at the oposit, iits gender is gothic cathdedral style like the others. As it, it s an heritage, not an adaptive concept. But of course you will find always arcitect wanting to justify theiir job vs conservators. Pyramids were also high tech, would you like to change its look by something modern as crystal pyramidion above...nah', bad tastes. You want not to restore a ferrari gto to looks like a modern one outside, but inside no problem as the first function of art is to look not ask oneself about the tech involved to make it...it s not made for the makers but for the lurkers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Imho their president launched an international concours for political reasons...having his print on hystory, prepare the next election, giving perhaps some powers to the big donators which are french lux brands wanting perhaps a thing to be seen more than a discret restoration...perhaps be ready for olympic games for the symbol but at the risk to be ugly.
Too much monney and ego, they should think in term of art heritage for itself not to perform... outside it can looks like the same...support structure is not important and should involve techs of today because of course thr former massons didnt use older pyramid technic...but for a part the best the saw elswhere as in Middle East then improved it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Too much things in old Europe to conserve while not having the money for all of them, Perhaps they should focus on gems only.
But thanks to all the donators from everywhere, we hope all to see this art gem smiling again. I believe it should last more 5 Years... it s not a Bowie song.

We are too much involved by the tech, but it s not an end, it s just a tool. The building was not made to be high Tech symbol. High tech was just used as a way to convince and make huge.
When it was built / modified / fixed, they used the high tech of the time.

Now destination has changed for most people, now it s more about the art symbol of a time.
Unlike sculptures and paintings, buildings need to function (weather protection, ventilation, heating / cooling...etc.) properly or face deterioration. It's much more than art symbol.

If we follow your example you may want to add some Pollocks or street art grafiti on an old painting to restore it because it s newer.
There is a lot more to restoring a building. As mentioned before, surface looks can be replicated there is a lot going on beyond the surface that require complex design. Building of this size is very complicated.

My grade school had suffered a similar event during a remodeling phase, sadly it was a total loss. Lots of nice first growth timber in that building. Come to think of it, there have been several buildings/structures that have had this happen in the hands of “builders” that I can think of!

I would hope it's far enough away no to be affected.

Just a short walk from Notre Dame. De-consecrated for now, so no services.
While they charge admission fee to Sainte-Chapel, it can get pretty crowded. I was very lucky to be allowed the use of a tripod in 1994 to photograph the stained glass. Now it isn't allowed without a special permit.

Paris celebrated the heroic firefighters at St. Eustache this morning.