Not to design my own for the first build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can't measure impedence with a mic or with a multi meter. Multi meters check resistance. Impedence is frequency depedent. If you do a search for ARTA or LIMP you can find a DIY impedence jig. Otherwise, a Dayton DATS is what you need.
Mike

I will do a search, but multi meters measure more than just resistance (which is why they call them multi meters). I would think running a test tone at a specific frequency, measuring the voltage and amperage with the multi meter and diving volts by amps would give me impedence at test tone frequency. That doesn't mean there isn't an easier or more accurate way.

Maybe you need a tone generator or sweep ,then measure somehow the level emitted by the speaker at a fixed distance, so you can plot the different levels at different frequencies. That is the graph called frequency response. You need to isolate the front wave from the back wave not to encounter the acoustic short circuit.
Usually the manufacturers put the speaker on a baffle and do the test, so you'll have the sensistivity data, which is expressed in dB/W/m. It means that when applied 1 W, corrisponding to 2,83 V with an 8Ω speaker, or 2V for a 4Ω one, the level expressed in deciBels and at a distance of 1 meter.

Yes, you can measure impedance the old fashioned way, and put your results in zma format for simulations too, and you can make a CD if you don't have a generator, but it is insanely tedious compared the zillion data points you get in seconds with a digital method. Plus the electrical phase is nice to have for simulations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.