NOT Blameless Amplifier (Red)

This is the now classic symmetric IPS problem. The usual solution is nix the current mirrors. I think BC adds some resistors to load the current mirrors. I tried to create a common mode feedback but even with lots of ~servo filtering, it always created lots of 2nd order THD. Maybe that would be fine? But a single LTP can do better than 0.001% THD so I just wouldn't bother.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
We used common mode feedback in the 70s, on NMOS amplifiers deployed within gigabaud SRAMs. Because we needed every last morsel of gain-bandwidth. Croaking off the gain in exchange for predictability of common mode output voltage, was strictly verboten; off the table.

2R+1C+1Zener would increase PSRR by 20X. Cost increase: 1 new resistor and 1 new capacitor per rail.

2R + 2Zener would increase PSRR by 100X. Cost increase: 1 new resistor and 1 new Zener per rail.

1R + 1 JFET + 2Zener would increase PSRR by 300X. Cost increase: 1 new resistor and 1 new JFET per rail.

"Works great" with 1R and 1Zener ... passes up some very cheap opportunities for much better performance.
Your correct. However would this small fluctuation cause issues here for the cascodes that are operating as switches here. There an approach thats already popular with wolverine where it caters for the input signal also, would these be audible?

Seen that in some of your other posts with parallel small dies or T0-92
Something I thought of trying as well.
sure many would overreact to it as well.

But was interesting to see.

Far as this design
common 3503/1381 could be used for Q4,Q16, Q11, Q13, Q17, Q18
Think it would really wake up the performance.
Be interesting to see the numbers in same sim
Thanks,let me get on it

If you already built a dozen or more of them, checked the bias currents of Q16 and Q4 for each of them and found that the spread is perfectly acceptable, then I agree. In that case, apparently the offset of the input stage and the current gain of the second stage is small enough for the conceptual issue I found not to be a big deal in practice.

If this design only exists as an LTSpice simulation, then I would advice you to put a DC voltage source in series with the base of one and only one of the four input transistors, do a DC sweep where this voltage source is swept from -50 mV to +50 mV and see what happens with the DC currents through Q16 and Q4. It's a simulation that can be run in a few minutes and it will give you an impression whether the issue I mentioned is a big deal or not.
The output swings between that range -50 mV to +50 mV as expected

I just now saw this thread. A mismatch in the differential pairs will cause Q4 and Q16 to have zero current or to burn out.

The differential pairs loaded by current mirrors have too much gain. A "feature" of the fully complementary amplifier is that the gain must be relatively low in order for the two halves to track.
Ed
They do track and the LTP gain is kept below 20dB

I agree with the guys expressing concerns. Was just thinking about it in a different way, which would be more along the lines of what might be its dynamical response be in the presence of noise? Say, for example, if one kicked one of the control loops to upset the output, then what would the dynamical response of the other control loop be, and how would the two loops settle (assuming the excited mode is sufficiently damped). Even if stable, what might the effect on sound be, depending on particular mismatches?
The two control loops are antagonistic, think slew

Pls share your implementation
I thought of something like this, but it needs something extra to protect against destructive latch-up when QCM6 and QCM8 go in saturation.

IMG_20230724_085402.jpg

After remembering to include the plotwise directive, this seems to work well. The VAS current in both VAS transistors will necessarily be the same, save the OPS input current. So I just sense it on one side and inject a small servo current into the current mirrors (both) that sets the VAS current to a constant defined by the divider R11, R12.

Attachments

• Symetric IPS8.png
    Symetric IPS8.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 64
  • symetric IPS-8.asc
    6.9 KB · Views: 43
Joined 2011
Paid Member