• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

NOS Vintage Transformers, Vintage Caps, how far you go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For coupling capacitors, the Sprague type 716P work great. They're inexpensive, very well made by a real capacitor company that knows something, reasonably sealed if you don't abuse the wire exits, made of tweak-approved polypropylene film with solid copper leads, and are easily available. The last may be their downfall for some people.

For power supplies, you can go crazy with chassis real estate and use lots of big motor-run metallized polyprop's in their steel cans. Work great, last forever, also very showy. The last may be a downfall for a different set of people.

Me, I like 'em both.
All good fortune,
Chris

What would be some capacitors brands that are made today, too look for when choosing this components to build a tube amp? high end stuff but not crazy expensive, if you can indicate me some high price and others more low cost but still high end, I appreciate... the japanese and european are the best ones?

Thanks

Its been done to death. There is no such thing as a "high end" cap, just the right component for the function.

There is a market for selling very ordinary but breathlessly described caps to suckers (your hand-rolled-between-the-thighs-of-dusky-virgins, quantum-charged, gold lead type of thing).

In the real world where the breeze is not the result of frantic handwaving, we tend to accept that the parameters that matter can be measured, look at relevant specifications, and then head over to the Mouser website and pick up a some of Panasonic's finer items at a few bucks each or less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.