Noob wants to build something for DQ-10's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isn't the Hafler PS going to be a poor match for any of these TPA's? Aren't they typically designed for single supply operation? The Hafler is probably +/-75V.

From somebody whose been around since Haflers were state-of-the-art, I'd hate to see a working one chopped just for the PS of a Class D chipamp.

-Rick

My whole house dims when I hit the power switch. :(

hi Tjude

It would be nice to give us an idea what you plan. Budget, which material you have...etc.
recycling the Hafler- PSU - which DC voltage you get after the rectifier?- then we can look for a powerfull amp that can handle this voltage.

chris

Hi Chris,

I don't think recycling the PSU is worth it - I'd like to build from scratch. I've been looking at the Sure boards, and that seems a good way to go, however, they quote 4 and even 3 ohm specs. I presume 300W into 4 ohms is fundamentally 150W into 8, and that might not do. What do you think?

The data of Sure stuff are not what you can compare to the Hafler you have.
I fear you would be disappointed with one of these products.

If you want to replace it, one the best options would be the ICEpower 500ASP with a 500A added.
For driving them to best performance, you will need a buffer that feeds them a symmetric input signal.
There is an alternative, get two bridged ICE 125ASX2. Need symmetric drive too.

Class D Amplifiers | Profusion

Please note that these are not perfectly idiot proof, a short may finish them off.
That is and has been a problem with all real powerful, dynamic sounding amps, they do not take any mistreatment without consequences.

Another nice option are the 3e-audio amps. They are a good implementation of the maybe best D-chip around. They might profit from a symmetric buffer, just like the ICE 500.

Next would be Hypex stuff, like the “ncore” and not to forget purifi and the “EVAL1”.

These options have different price tags and need different levels of attention to be finished amps and get the best performance.
The ICE products should be the most simple way to get a world class amp, they have been around for nearly 10 years and have had some evolution (some are Mk. 3). Ghent Audio has quite some accessories that make you finish one in a few hours if you pay for them.

A good driver for symmetric inputs is the That 1646 op-amp.
SparkFun THAT 1646 OutSmarts Breakout - BOB-14003 - SparkFun Electronics
There is nothing else to match its price for a real, working product.

The TI DRV 134 is another option, but most modules with them seem to have a fake one on board.

I did not mention Connex electronics, as the products are most mediocre and customer service and documentation are close to non existing.

Last are the many China designs, lead by ljm´s L15d to L30d range. Made from different sources, suffering from home made, undocumented design, fake and refurbished parts and no service at all. Ljm answers questions usually with “Sorry I do not speak English”.
You may build a well sounding, working amp out off this stuff or not. Chinese home brew...

If you go to Ali express, you will find a million chip-D-amp offers. Some are build very near to the data sheet, others saved on ever part, making them close to non functioning. Price is no indicator to quality, some very cheap ones perform really good and are build in huge numbers. Not easy to find the pearls.

Good luck!

I had tried to persuade a Hafler DH500 to sound great for a few years but now it’s holding down a portion of a workbench, with no plans to use it in the future.

I’m now powering some later Dahlquist DQ16 speakers using some HM3S boards from ebuy. It’s a great combination. The amp will cost anywhere from $300-$500 to assemble. The power supply is 4 x 22,000uf Sikorel and that added a bit to the cost, but there are other options.

Turns out, built the IcePower 200ASC and 200a. Easy build thanks to tomnadeau and his encouragement. Still need to add spade lugs to the speaker leads and fix the signal sense thing, but sound is great although less volume than the Hafler. I give a 10 to Parts Express and a 9 to Ghent Audio.

Now am apparently on to build a whammy preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.