• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Noob is about to press the BIN button and buy a Chinese tube amp kit. Save me/ help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• ipad.JPG
    ipad.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 338
  • rigol.JPG
    rigol.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 331
Hi everyone
Glad to see my post getting used whilst I have been away....lol

Well.........estimated delivery was 21st - 27th Jan and it turned up on 21st, which is just 3 days from Germany via DPD. So, a 10/10 for picking a decent courier. Only defect to the box was a small piece of tape hanging off. Double boxed, each box from triple walled cardboard and covered 100% in film and tape. Inside the box the chassis with all iron mounted was firmly held by high density foam, valves boxed and wrapped separately and all other components secured inside chassis. No movement inside box, everything packed tightly....another 10/10 for preparation.

Close inspection shows exactly what I expected and absolutely as it left the factory....no dinks, dents etc. 10/10 for item as described. Schematic included as promised and it does not seem too complex at first glance....no doubt I will have some questions.

So, at this point in time I am very happy with the £159 I have spent and feel that the trader has done everything to ensure I get what he advertised on time and in great shape. Time will tell as to sound quality, but I have a couple of things on the go right now so will not be starting it straight away.

Anyway, here's a few pics for you to see. Someone suggested that I hand draw the schematic for you guys to have a look at....I'm assuming this is to avoid infringing copyright? The seller is someone called DoukStore and he also seems to trade as DoukMall probably for the US market. He operates from China but also has a Euro warehouse in Germany which enabled me to order without any customs charges. I have no connection with him other than as a new customer.

Attachments

• L1040043.JPG
    L1040043.JPG
    806 KB · Views: 160
  • L1040040.JPG
    L1040040.JPG
    666.2 KB · Views: 161
  • L1040039.JPG
    L1040039.JPG
    821.1 KB · Views: 154
  • L1040038.JPG
    L1040038.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 169
  • L1040037.JPG
    L1040037.JPG
    681.6 KB · Views: 173
  • L1040033.JPG
    L1040033.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 116
  • L1040032.JPG
    L1040032.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 305
  • L1040031.JPG
    L1040031.JPG
    603.1 KB · Views: 310
  • L1040030.JPG
    L1040030.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 315
I checked with several mods and posting the schematic seems to be ok. Not sure how feedback is being applied unless it's via the 2 connections at B1 and B2? I'm very much a noobie in terms of circuit theory and will have a few questions I'm sure.

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Hi all
I expected the design to get torn to shreds, so I'll chalk up another 10/10 to the supplier. I was missing the transformer connection details and emailed them last night before going to bed. Lo and behold I have an email this morning with the drawings........well considering it's a weekend I reckon that's pretty marvellous customer service too....10/10. So far I'm mighty pleased with my dealings with this company.

As to the design I am a bit baffled as to why there are a pair of twin triodes as first stage. What is the benefit of wiring them in parallel as wont each half produce exactly the same output voltage? I'm assuming you mean that I could use one half of each and use the second half as another stage of voltage gain? If I did that would I not run the risk of driving the EL34's with too high a signal? I would clearly want to wire it as per design at first, but it's useful for my learning to understand other options.

If I have posed this question correctly then I have learnt something since placing the order....lol I'm ok with soldering....it's eyesight and shaky hands that are now the enemy!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The benefit is twice the transconductance, half the noise, and half the source impedance..

Remember when soldering to heat the work, and flow the solder into the joint. Wetting the tip with a wee bit of solder first improves hear transfer to the joint. Obviously don't over do it either, a few seconds of heating should be sufficient unless it is a big joint. Get a good iron, 40 - 60W is generally good, even better if you can spring for a temperature controlled unit. I am not sure whether you are forced to use lead free solder (RoHS) or not for diy projects in the UK, but if you are get a little bit of flux to use along with it. Lead free tin alloy solders don't give you the same shiny look of SnPb solders. Alcohol and a small stiff (acid brush in the U.S) brush is ideal for cleaning residue off of pcb assemblies after soldering and is environmentally about as benign as you can get.

Joined 2011
As to the design I am a bit baffled as to why there are a pair of twin triodes as first stage.
What is the benefit of wiring them in parallel as wont each half produce exactly the same output voltage?

This circuit isn't that unusual, for example Conrad Johnson has often done this in their equipment.
Paralleling tubes doubles the output current and halves the output impedance of the stage, while keeping the voltage gain the same.
You don't need that much gain if there is no feedback, but improved drive of the next tube is good.

Looks like you did good:)

As mentioned before, you could use one of the paralleled triode to make up for gain loss if you decide to modify the circuit with some global feedback. Feedback could help improve the performance of this amplifier.

Other than that maybe outfit the sockets with some grid stop resistors for peace of mind. The circuit is pretty straight forward and should be great for a beginner project. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from building the amplifier.

Get building and start listening :cheers:

Hi all

Huge thank you's to everyone for the really useful and constructive advice and observations. I'm enjoying the build already and it's still in the box! I'm just finishing off a small indoor rc aeroplane (another hobby) and then it's on the bench.....cant wait.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.