Noob building a pair of Floorstanders 3-way. help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day grandmasters!

I had an idea almost year ago but now i got some experience to start!

Only place where i can buy stuff is from stx... also theres way better places to buy from but i dont want to spend alot on my first "Hi-Fi" set

So i need some help with design and drivers

I have choosen:

Highs: T.STX.4.1.200.8.FPPC

Midranges: M.STX.5.1.120.8.FSMC

And bass: GDN-22-200-8-SC

Total price of 64€,

Filters and other stuff will be done too but cant before im sure about the drivers.

First quiestions would be...

Are those drivers even worth buying?
Maybe i can find something better?

Thanks alot .

Last edited:
Are those drivers even worth buying?

Never heard of STX before, but I found the datasheets of the drivers:

T.STX.4.1.200.4.F.P.PC - G?o?niki najtaniej,kolumny,ko?cówka mocy,kino domowe,subwoofer,samochodowe,zestawy,centralny,efektowy,driver,speakon,estradowe,hifi,wzmacniacz
M.STX.5.1.120.8.F.S.MC - G?o?niki najtaniej,kolumny,ko?cówka mocy,kino domowe,subwoofer,samochodowe,zestawy,centralny,efektowy,driver,speakon,estradowe,hifi,wzmacniacz
G?o?niki najtaniej,kolumny,ko?cówka mocy,kino domowe,subwoofer,samochodowe,zestawy,centralny,efektowy,driver,speakon,estradowe,hifi,wzmacniacz

You have choosen a 8" woofer, a closed cone 5" midrange and a 1" polycarbonate tweeter. The drivers and the data look reasonable and the recommended crossover frequencies are around 800 Hz and 3 kHz. The woofer requires a vented cabinet of 40-55 litres and goes down below 50 Hz. Based on the information given and considering the price, everything seems to be fine so far.

An option would be to use an open midrange driver and to cross it lower (around 500 Hz).

However you will have to design a 3-way crossover network for the speaker and that's not gonna be easy. Further keep in mind crossover components are expensive and will add costs of 50-100% of the amount for the drivers.

In my opinion this is a better choice, however, you will need to make a separate sealed 2-6lt chamber for it.
Crossover frequencies will have to be determined by experimentation and ideally some measurements.
I would cross it as far as possible from that 6k cone break-up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.