• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Nonstandard tubes for audio? Quadrature grid chorus effect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering especially about the 6bn6 as well as the pentagrid mixer types. The quadrature output of this tube sounds like it's 90° out of phase, which would make a great chorus effect. I have seen circuits using this tube as a clipper, but I was wondering if this tube could provide simple and interesting effects processing in a guitar amp or pre-amp.

I also was wondering if a pentagrid mixer tube type could be used to sum channels in a multi-channel preamp. It's also possible that this doesn't make any sense, so I was wondering if anyone had used any of the multiple grid mixers etc or the multiple plate tubes to create any interesting effects at audio frequency.

(I just picked up a broken Western Royal superheterodyne, 6u5 and all, which I am going to convert into a very nice looking living room guitar amp. 11 tube sockets, all octal...finishing a super Kalamazoo Reverb 12-like amp with 6ca7 output, as opposed to the 6bq5s in the original)

The pentagrid converter will multiply the signals rather than add them, at least that is what they do as set up in a radio. Never the less, they may be interesting to play with in an audio effects application.

For an additive mixer you can try a twin triode with seperate cathode resistors, but one common plate resistor.

I do recall seeing some triodes with "dual control grids" in my RCA '47 receiving manual...I imagine that would be the same.

Would such a mixer avoid some the old "220k resistors from each source to the grid" techniques' loading and channel crosstalk problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.