No-Holds-Barred Lowther design?

Hehehehehe, you guys are crazy. :D Bud, thanks for a very thorough answer. My recommendation to audition a Lamp stands (for most people), but it sounds like you guys are having fun and enjoying the music, and that is what this crazy hobby of ours is all about. So all I can say is: have fun and keep on experimenting. :up: :up: :up: :cheers:

Enjoy,
Deon

PS. I was looking at that baffle for the Lowther and the Eminence. Have you thought about rounding the edges? I know Lynn Olson is a big believer is that, and from what I have read it seems to have a huge effect on the sound. Just a thought (another one ;))

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello Bob. I'm running very late in my quest for First Watt amp friendly speakers-my first "audiophile" pair, in fact. I googled [ "Lowther open baffle" "Long Island"] in hopes of finding a Long Islander who may have built the famous LOBs, favored by Nelson Pass, Jon Ver Halen and other Lowther fans. I've actually heard so few high end speakers and never any Lowthers. What attracts me to them, however, is that Nelson Pass seems to think very highly of them-and that there's little question that he makes among the very best sounding ss amps (I think that he also is or was into Zu speakers, btw). Do you know anyone around L.I. , NYC or in the TriState with Lowther drivers installed in almost any kind of cabinet (i.e. OB, sealed box, bass reflex, Academy, Alerion, Medallion, Bicor, Fidelio), and who just might let me hear them? Thanks.

may be a few solution are waiting for tests, a RDH20 with 2 DX3 and in large rooms add a sub below 50 Hz, a Schalmei Sat with DX2/3 and Alphorn or the Sousaphon for DX3, PM2A, and with hole in the back the PM4A

Attachments

• FL 20 sousaphon.jpg
    FL 20 sousaphon.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 46
  • RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 45
A friend has made some tractrix front loaded horns using Lowther drivers. These sound amazing. Voigt (who designed the Lowther drivers) built a FLH with a 4ft square mouth, that I heard just one in mono. Awesome.
What I have gained from this is that FLH transform the Lowthers. It flattens the FR, and realises their potential.The Voigt driver that they are derived from was used in FLH.
The Beauhorn Virtuoso combines front and rear horns, which is the way to go if you only want to use the one driver. There are a few reviews of these speakers online. Most are extremely favourable.

Reactions: 1 user