Nixie and Magura do Heatsink Material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was just saying that beryllia would be strong enough for a heatsink, not a bicycle. Cosidering the fact that beryllium oxide heatsinks are commercially available, I don't think I'm stretching. How strong does your Hi-Fi need to be? A tube amp wouldn't take well to a hammer blow either.

Now, in an attept to get back on the topic of frypans; CAST IRON RULES!

ps. I know a lot more about bicycles than heat sinks or fry pans.

EC8010 said:

It could have a number of devices with collectors at different voltages and leave the heatsink exposed. Hate to think how much it would cost (although cheaper than the exotic forms of carbon).

Hmm, I've been playing with carbon heatspreaders. The carbon stuff is conductive, but it has the advantage of being directional and offering heat transfer close to what offered by copper. The carbon stuff is though mostly used to save weight in aircrafts and the like.

Nice material though. I got a few big pieces sent my way (as in like 80 or 90 kilograms) so I've used it as partly heat transfer, partly a design element for my next amp. (see link in www button)

Magura :)

Well, AFAIK the reason that stuff is so darn expensive is not the price of the carbon itself, but that the manufacturing of the final product takes (correct me if I'm wrong) like 8 month at high temp and under constant infusion of carbon from a type of gas (can't remember which one). Hence the steep price tag :(

kelticwizard said:
I hear next week they're going to start selling cubit zirconium
Not a single-crystal version, but I have a zirconia knife. The surface is black from the graphite blocks of the HIP process. I get free sharpening for life, though after four years, there's no noticeable loss of sharpness, just a tiny bit of chipping in some edges from the time I tried to cut bones.

Magura said:
but that the manufacturing of the final product takes (correct me if I'm wrong) like 8 month at high temp and under constant infusion of carbon from a type of gas (can't remember which one).
That's just one of the processes; there are multiple routes to large synthetic diamonds. The prices of really good synthetic diamonds exceed that of the lowest quailty natural ones, and even more so for the high-end synthetic rubies and sapphires. Don't know about emeralds.

Nixie said:

That's just one of the processes; there are multiple routes to large synthetic diamonds. The prices of really good synthetic diamonds exceed that of the lowest quailty natural ones, and even more so for the high-end synthetic rubies and sapphires. Don't know about emeralds.

Hmm, I didn't know there were several ways to shave that goat. Anyway the stuff I have is made with the gas infusion process. I believe it's around 3.000 usd per kilogram. Far from the price of synthetic diamond, or I would be very rich now LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.