• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newnewbie Ouput Tranny question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a first project I am building an LA2A clone from the Dave Jahnsen book. I have all of the hardware except fo the output transformer. UTC A-24. Here are the specs from the book.
Output Transformer
primary imp. 15KW split winding not required
sec. imp. 600W
freq. resp. 20-40Khz
Max. dBM +15
Max. mW 30
Today I was at a great store that is a warehouse filled with stuff from nasa and Harris corp. Most of it is Satellite transmission or CATV related. Anyway I found a grea box for my project that had a Triad-Utrad A-65J of which I am attaching a pic that I found on ebay.
My question is that since this has the equivalent primary and secondary specs, can I use this instead of the UTC-24? I have so little knowledge of circuits that I shouldn't really be trying this but I love the idea of being able to build something so cheaply as opposed to spending $3K.
Thanks for the help
J Williams

Attachments

• a-65j-transformersx4-closeup.jpg
    a-65j-transformersx4-closeup.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 122

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can't find a handy listing for A-65 to guess if it will work or not.

Do note that the "sound" of the LA2a is a LOT about the specific transformers that were used. Use something else, get something else. It might even be "better"; it might not be the "LA2a sound" you were looking for.

I don't know how this forum feels about links to other forums; but there IS a better place for this specific topic. The experts on DIY LA2a hang at another forum on this thread.

BTW: an LA2a is NOT a beginner's project. Wise men have pounded-head and lost-hair building copies of the LA2a. I don't think it is beyond the ability of a very careful and determined beginner, but if asked I would have started you on something simpler.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.