• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie Tube Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some assistance for a Tube amplifier that I am trying to complete.

It is a stereo amp build with 6aq5 in a push pull configuration. It is driven by 12ax7's.

The issue is that the transformer I purchased has about 578 vac w/ct. I planned on using a solid state diode in a half bridge configuration, but the resultant DC voltage is 401 volts DC.

The 6aq5 does not like 400 vdc (387vdc after warm up), seems they like 250 vdc. (they get VERY hot). I don't want to change the tubes to another number.

The transformer purchased was designed to use a 5ar4 as a rectifier tube, if I incorporate that tube w/ a choke, do you think that would yield me 250- 275 vdc?

Perhaps another suggestions?

This is my first ever tube amp I am building, so please excuse my.. dumb questions

Upload the schematic you are using. Highly specific remarks are not possible without a schematic.

The fragile part in a 6AQ5 is the screen grid. As long its dissipation stays within published limits, 350 V. on the plate rates to be OK, but you must protect g2 come Hell or high water.

Yes, you should use vacuum rectification to get a rational B+ rail voltage. Use a "potato masher" 5R4 as the rectifier. The forward drop in a 5R4 is large (a whopping 67 V. @ 250 mA.), while the forward drop in a 5AR4 is small. Pick a horse for the course. The heater draw is 2 A. for both the 5AR4 and the 5R4.

CLC filter the rectifier's O/P. Use a 15 μF. cap. in the 1st position. Several H. are needed in the choke position. Pile the energy storage up in the 2nd cap. position, which is also known as the reservoir position. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.