Newbie questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I'm a complete newbie here and I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn some as I go along. I'd like build my self a new set of speakers that can fill my small house with some bigger sound the the Bose 201 series III bookshelf speakers I currently have. My amp is a JVC RX-309. So here is a list of the parts I'm looking at and wondering if I can put them all in a sealed cabinet and if so, what volume for these speakers combined?

Speaker Crossover 3-Way 8 Ohm 800/5,000 Hz 100W
Crossover 3-Way 8 Ohm 800/5,000 Hz 100W 260-210

GRS 10PR-8 10" Poly Cone Rubber Surround Woofer
GRS 10PR-8 10" Poly Cone Rubber Surround Woofer 292-421

GRS 6PF-8 6-1/2" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer
GRS 6PF-8 6-1/2" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer 292-406

GRS PZ1025 2" x 6" Piezo Horn Mid/Tweeter Similar to KSN1025
GRS PZ1025 2" x 6" Piezo Horn Mid/Tweeter Similar to KSN102 292-444

Square Speaker Wire Spring Terminal Cup
Square Speaker Terminal 260-297

Not counting cabinet or wire costs, I'm looking at just under $100 for a pair of speakers. Does this all look good and make sense or am I just dreaming?

Hi,
No way!
Nice thing is that you picked first the crossover, usually it's the last thing
a newbie takes in consideration, but it's primary; the crossover is the heart of a
loudspeaker system . And it needs to be tailored to that particular system.
This doesn't : at least, you may want to put a 10 W midrange insteadt of
the 6.5" woofer, and use the 6,5 " as a woofer.

Clarification

I'm hoping to build the speaker so that I won't really feel the lack of a subwoofer in my system. As I'm new and trying to understand how the crossover works, you want to have a speaker that covers past the range of the cross over so that it is able to reproduce up to the cross over point cleanly. Is that correct? So for this three was crossover I would need one speaker that covers the 800hz and below which I'm thinking for the 10in woofer and I like that it goes down to 35hz. The midrange on this cross over would need to cover from 800hz to to 5000hz and thus I'm thinking the 6.5in for that range and then for 5000hz and up the tweeter.

Could I get some clarification on what you mean by a 10 w midrange. does the w stand for watts or width or something else?

And yes, two days ago when I started looking at parts-express and diyaudio I was picking the speaker first and daydreaming but I've learned a few things by reading but I've got a long way to go still I think.

It might work, as usual....:eek::D
I really fear that the circuit won't deliver the necessary power to excite at satisfactory levels the coils, specially the midrange
...which may result in less troubles :eek::D
I mean
Give good engineering to the whole thing and the results might be acceptable.
Elaborate a little :D:eek:
Latest style is to think of the aging of the foam surround
and go for rubber surrounds
Except some strange cases :D:eek: like pneumatic suspension in big boxes

I didn't look at the big woofer, now I did : it's a big epthalate or something with rubber ext. surround.
I see from the boxsim calc. program that it reaches a F3=21 Hz ...mhhh four mounting holes, guess what power
the chassis can stand :)

Last edited:
I would rework also the Bose box !
In a DIY view everything's re-usable
You might want to use the existing speakers as midrange and treble units
and use the 10" woofer and the piezo ( search for its use and the particular way to use a resistor instead of a cap ) for broadening of the range ...at high power.
So it might then be the time to look at the JVC RX-309 and test its power capabilities.

Usually the listening power is set to 1 W so don't worry ....
The F3 21 Hz point might be reached in the vicinity ....
So you could make also a ' wall of woofers ' , about 8 ...
If you trust the simmed behaviour and want to reach a reasonable level....and HEY !!
20-20000 it's HI-FI !!!!!!
:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.