• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

My name is Giovanni and I'm from Italy.
This is my first post here, I'm a complete newbie to the tube world; I've already built a few preamplifiers and amplifiers in the past (including a Nelson Pass Aleph 30 clone), but never tried to build a tube amp.
Now I feel the need to build one.
I read a lot of threads, articles, opinions about tube amps (PP, SE, UL, etc....) and at the end I think I will build a PP amplifier, with a power not higher then 20W, with a solid state PSU and a class A DIY mosfet amplifier (I already have it).
I was thinking to use EL34 tubes, is this a good choice?
Any other type of tube suggested?
If EL34 are fine for this kind of a project (I have not yet decided the circuit design, I like the Tadaki design), which are the best?
- Electro harmonix EL34EH
- Svetlana EL34
- JJ Electronics EL34L

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Ciao,
Giovanni

croccodillo said:
I read a lot of threads, articles, opinions about tube amps (PP, SE, UL, etc....) and at the end I think I will build a PP amplifier, with a power not higher then 20W, with a solid state PSU and a class A DIY mosfet amplifier (I already have it).
I was thinking to use EL34 tubes, is this a good choice?

Welcome to the one true amplification device :D

Sure, EL34 will work, in class A or so. 6L6 is comparable, and equivalents 5881/KT66/etc...
20W can also be had by 6V6's (they top out around 15W, but you could push 20 I bet), quad EL84, and who knows how many unorthodox types, small dodecal sweep tubes from the 60s and 70s, for example.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.