• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie question: A current limiter vs a current regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Yup the circuit description is functionally what I described, all the lightening and surge protection is extra. How do they do this so cheap is always a wonder.

This one is $5 cheaper without the lightening protect just the ntc and shunt relay, and more compact board:

AC 150-280V 100A 4000W Power Supply Delay Soft Start Board For Class A Amplifier | eBay

Last edited:
> When I wire up an LM317 with a resistor between ADJ and VO and put that in series as Vcc - Vi -Vo - load am I getting a current limiter or a current regulator?

I use that method to charge NiCad batteries. Would call that circuit a constant current type. The current is always the same regardless of how many cells in series you connect it to.
The lipo chargers use the constant voltage method, i.e. 4.2V per cell max and the current varies down till it reaches the upper level of 4.2V.

The LM317 can be used either way, constant voltage or current modes

Last edited:
12V might be the coil voltage, eh? ;)

In any case, 'You won't get what you don't pay for' -- the performance won't be any better than their engineering skills, minus every cost-corner they could find to cut. It might be perfectly serviceable; it might not. And you won't know 'til you've put it through all the testing you'd have to do if you designed your own.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.