• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie Needs Help Choosing A Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there have been many posts regarding this topic, I have read many of them and it just made me more and more confused. So I am appealing to you all for help...

I am looking into building a stereo tube amp kit and I just don't know which way to go. I've seen a bunch of Dynaco ST-35 clones out there but they usually run around $500+ for the kit.

Another one I was looking at was this:

http://www.s5electronics.com/l16stereo.html

$225 for the kit, maybe $100 for a good case, and maybe $100 for the optional preamp and tone controls.

Starts to get close to the Dyna price.

I had considered building from scratch, but I don't really know much at all about tube amps, so I figured a kit is the way to go. I don't really want to do a rebuild as I don't have much experience testing and troubleshooting circuits.

I am trying to get into the hobby at LOW cost. Really, $500 is a lot of cash for me right now.

Any advice?

--Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.