Newbie help please Open Baffle Speaker starter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone.

I am not new to speakers but, I have made one open baffle loud speaker years ago using Fostex Fe206e Drivers. Turned out great but, no bass support or high freq. help. Well that was then and this is now. I am looking to use 3 drivers and I am asking for some help here? Here are the 3 drivers I am going to be using:

1. Tweeter Fountek NeoCD3.5H Horn Loaded Ribbon Tweeters.

2. Fullrange ( Midrange) Drivers. The Fostex FE103En speakers. ( I have them aready.)

3. Low end support The fountek FW200 8" inch drivers.

I picked them all because they are all in my price range and in my budget okayed by the wife Yikes hate to say that one :crazy:. ( A happy wife is a peaceful home.):D

Well I was planning on putting the tweeter and fullrange driver in a open baffle on top of the 8 inch woofer. I was planning on putting the 8 inch driver in a rear ported box unless I can use it in a open baffle some how and get the bass I want out of it? Now I was going to cross the woofer over at 500 hz on down and the midrange 400 hz on up and the tweeter 5,000 khz on up. I was going to use a 12 DB crossover? Will this work? Also if I build a open baffle box is there a way to build it? The sides the way they are shaped or how long do they need to be? Please let me know. N.S.

P.S Here's a example of Tony Gee's Speaker I got the idea I was looking to make my speaker like?:confused:

Attachments

• Humble%20Homemade%20Hifi_Modulus_copy.pdf
    476.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Tony Gee's Speaker
That's a very nice presentation (of a not/so typical 3-way, or 2.5, with a series/parallel crossover).
For best results with your speaker design, best to use frd/zma's.
Your Fountek FW200 8" driver doesn't go very low but it works great in a sealed enclosure starting at 90L internal.
Also look at other options from this forum that you might like. Take your time and if you can learn how to simulate and measure drivers.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/238247-subwoofer-ideas-3x8-tang-band-anything.html

Tony Gee's Speaker
That's a very nice presentation (of a not/so typical 3-way, or 2.5, with a series/parallel crossover).
For best results with your speaker design, best to use frd/zma's.
Your Fountek FW200 8" driver doesn't go very low but it works great in a sealed enclosure starting at 90L internal.
Also look at other options from this forum that you might like. Take your time and if you can learn how to simulate and measure drivers.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/238247-subwoofer-ideas-3x8-tang-band-anything.html

Hello there and thanks for the info on this driver? I will have call and ask why the speaker company is telling you to use a 2.4 Liter ported box with a port that is 2 inch wide by 4 inchs long gets me 28 hz I was told? Well for now that 8 inch is all I can get but, if I wait a bit longer and save up I could use a 10 inch driver. Well again thanks for your help. I will have to do some research and see what I can come up with. N.S.

I will have call and ask why the speaker company is telling you to use a 2.4 Liter ported box with a port that is 2 inch wide by 4 inchs long gets me 28 hz I was told?
Why? Where?
Vas is 61.6L. ;)
FW200

Note: 3.82ft³ = 108.17L

Attachments

• Fountek FW200 8 Aluminum Midwoofer Speaker.jpg
    Fountek FW200 8 Aluminum Midwoofer Speaker.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
a bigger woofer

Greetings,

May I suggest you look at the line of Dayton Audio professional woofers ?

I ask that because, in my opinion, a single 8 inch woofer really does not cut it, unless you are in a very small room, and moderate spl's.

I'd rather move plenty of air with TRUE response down to 40 Hz, than to have a simulated response to 28hz by an eight inch woofer.

Take a look at the PA-380 (a 15") or the PA-310 (a 12" if you must).

p.s. your choice of tweeter is very, very nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.