• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newb question about tube socket placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Can a tube socket be flipped to the opposite side of its normal PCB installation side and still work the same?

That makes it a mirror image, so the pins are wrong. 1 -> 9, 2 -> 8, 3 -> 7, etc.
The tube pin connections are not symmetric. You'd have to change all the pcb trace
connections (except #5) to correct that.

Instead, you could mount all the capacitors on the bottom. Then the tops of the sockets
could be even with the top plate.

Last edited:
I do not have the actual Tetra PCB yet. I guess if you can solder both sides, then just place the tube socket on top, and put all large components on the bottom.

Why didn't I think of this before. Duh! And why did none of the 148 persons who viewed this thread suggest this?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
I do not have the actual Tetra PCB yet. I guess if you can solder both sides, then just place the tube socket on top, and put all large components on the bottom. Why didn't I think of this before. Duh! And why did none of the 148 persons who viewed this thread suggest this?

It takes some actual hardware and construction experience.

Can a tube socket be flipped to the opposite side of its normal PCB installation side and still work the same?

That makes it a mirror image, so the pins are wrong. 1 -> 9, 2 -> 8, 3 -> 7, etc.
The tube pin connections are not symmetric. You'd have to change all the pcb trace
connections (except #5) to correct that. Instead, you could mount all the capacitors on the bottom.
Then the tops of the sockets could be even with the top plate.

Mount the tube sockets to the "top" side of the boards and all the other components to the "bottom". The tetra boards are laid out to make this very easy. Components can be mounted to either side and labeled on each side. The boards from Glass-Ware (Tubecad) are of very high quality and well laid out. Instructions are well written as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.