New vinyl cleaning method invented

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I tried various combinations and the following method seems best working:

Stage 1 - Initial washing:
> Add few drops of vinyl cleaning solution that contains ammonia to 1 liter of distilled water. The main thing is that the solution should not leave any film residue on the record.
> Wash the record in the above solution using a soft brush and finally wash them off using triple distilled water.

Stage 2 - Critical washing:
> Wash the records in the cleaning solution mentioned in the #12.
> Use a soft brush for wiping.

Stage 3 - Final washing:
> Use the triple distilled water to fine clean the records
> Use a recording cleaning brush for wiping.
> Let the record dry out. We can use some sort of vacuum cleaning or air blowing if required.

Best regards,
Bins.

I was mostly curious, because post # 12 specifies 1 liter of "alcohol" AND 1/2 liter of isopropyl alcohol.

Caution.

Ammonia seems to react with plastic ! I added a little ammonia solution to a window cleaner spray. After several days it wouldn't spray anymore. The plunger system seems to stick. After I washed out the spraying system thoroughly with water it worked again but still gets stuck if I use the cleaning solution that contains ammonia. I think it depends on the ammonia content. The original spray used to contain ammonia when it was introduced many years ago. For some reason they stopped adding ammonia later on and it wasn't due to the plunger sticking ! I guess the ammonia needs to be present only in trace amounts.

Correct...

Hello,

Yes, Ashok is absolutely right. Only traces of ammonia is required. Else, it can react with the vinyl medium.

Best regards,
Bins.

Ammonia seems to react with plastic ! I added a little ammonia solution to a window cleaner spray. After several days it wouldn't spray anymore. The plunger system seems to stick. After I washed out the spraying system thoroughly with water it worked again but still gets stuck if I use the cleaning solution that contains ammonia. I think it depends on the ammonia content. The original spray used to contain ammonia when it was introduced many years ago. For some reason they stopped adding ammonia later on and it wasn't due to the plunger sticking ! I guess the ammonia needs to be present only in trace amounts.

Hi Guys,

Here is my 5 cents:

As a biochemist I have done my share of washing glass and plastic-ware for experiments in grad school.
I may attest that the following procedure gives you almost "chemically clean" surface:

1. wash with regular water and mild detergent
2. rinse VERY WELL with regular water (to remove detergent)
3. rinse with distilled/deionized water (to remove salts)
4. rinse with double distilled/deionized water (expensive)
5. let dry.
6. if you are in a hurry rinse with 96% ethyl Alcohol (very high purity grade) to remove water traces and dry.

Now, for records you don't really need step 4 and you can use alcohol and distilled water you by at Pharmacy.

This is how I clean records:
I prepared two solutions for washing and rinsing.
Both solutions are 25% Isopropanol in distilled water (you buy 91% isopropanol and distilled water at local pharmacy and mix them up).

The washing solution has 4 drops of photoflo per 1 liter.

1. I wash dirty records in the kitchen with Down or Palmolive detergent (or whatever is in the kitchen at the moment). Rinse thoroughly with tap water and gently remove water from both sides with lint-free paper towel. I do not dry record completely, just remove as much water as possible.

2. I wash record with my DIY record cleaning machine with washing solution (see above).

3. I rinse record with rinsing solution to remove photoflo.

hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.