New TU-8600S Delivers as Promised

It looks like those speakers are harder to drive than the specs indicate.

”Sound
The ES80 presents a nominal 8 ohm load with a 91dB efficiency. The speaker proved to be a tougher load than the specs would indicate and needed good-quality power to open up properly, not excelling with entry-level power sources. Better-quality power sources improved things significantly.”

https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-es80-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

A noob question: my son has JBL ES80s and a passive 4 ohm subwoofer. The specs for the JBLs show a sensitivity of 91db, so I think they would play well with either the 8500 or 8900. But not sure about how to wire in his subwoofer? I've seen conflicting advice on this online after some initial poking around - from it's not a good idea and certainly not recommended to no problem ... Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions you can offer.
If you stream music, try a Bluesound Node 2i or the new model. It can do 2.1 and filter the frequencies. It has adjustable frequency cut off in the app. I haven’t found a cheaper streamer that can do this.

I run the wires from the speaker outputs on the amp to the high level input on the sub. Most subs will have both line level and high level inputs, and a switch to select which are active. I’d use line level if you have line output, or the B speaker channel if you have that choice. But since I don’t, I double up on the speaker outputs using banana plugs and spade connectors. Works well, no issues.

Edit: Oops. I missed the word “passive.” You mean it’s not a powered sub? In that case what I said above is wrong for you. Subs require a lot of power (hundreds of watts) and you’re not going to get it from a flea powered tube amp. If the JBLs are 8 ohm that may complicate things further. You’ll need a separate amp for the sub. It would probably be better to just buy a modern powered sub with its own power and all the connectivity and adjustment options included.

Last edited:
I run the wires from the speaker outputs on the amp to the high level input on the sub. Most subs will have both line level and high level inputs, and a switch to select which are active. I’d use line level if you have line output, or the B speaker channel if you have that choice. But since I don’t, I double up on the speaker outputs using banana plugs and spade connectors. Works well, no issues.

Edit: Oops. I missed the word “passive.” You mean it’s not a powered sub? In that case what I said above is wrong for you. Subs require a lot of power (hundreds of watts) and you’re not going to get it from a flea powered tube amp. If the JBLs are 8 ohm that may complicate things further. You’ll need a separate amp for the sub. It would probably be better to just buy a modern powered sub with its own power and all the connectivity and adjustment options included.
Many thanks for the good advice. Yeah, we were coming to that conclusion - but good to have it confirmed - as well as the clarification regarding the possible wiring out of the 8200. You can't always get what you want, to quote those great philosophers, the Rolling Stones ...