New tool for Behringer DEQ2496

Hello,
welcome to my new tool for the Behringer DEQ-2496.
I love this gadget but turning knobs and pressing small buttons is not what I
like.
So I decided do create DEQ2496-Control because Simon Rhode (seoman)
stops his project DEQ2496-Remote. I've tested my Tool up to Windows 7 64
bits.
DEQ2496-Control is tailored to my personal needs. May be that I expand the
functionality in the future but everything I need is working.
You can use it free of charge. Use it on your own risks.

Please read the attached PDF before you use it.

DEQ2496Control-V099-Setup

Kind regards
BigD

Attachments

• DEQ2496_Readme.pdf
    98.3 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
is is the new release of my DEQ2496 Control tool:

DEQ2496-Control Setup V1.0 Windows 10

Changes:
It coveres now the COMPLETE DEQ2496 with all possible Modules!

Known Issues in Windows 10:
I've installed Windows 10 last month and i found several issues regardings MIDI and Windows 10:

1. The Class-Compilant-Drivers has been changed in serveral Windows 10 versions. My development system is running 20H2.
I've tested several MIDI-Interfaces. The cheapesd you can buy Online is not working in general. I've bought one for testing but it doesn't connect to anything! Online there are also Asmuse MIDI Kabel to USB 2.0. This is also not working! It uses the same chipset.

The best results can you get with PRODIPE Interfaces. I've tested the old and new version. Both are working very well!
Interfaces audio-midi Interface MIDI USB 1in/1out Prodipe

I've also tested the MidiLink Mini Interface, but Windows7 / 10 has trouble to recognize it correctly when other USB-Devices are pluged in. But if it is runnging, it works well also.
MIDILINK MINI - Miditech

2. HYPER-V is a big issue. NO 32Bit Midi-Software is working with HYPER-V once activated.
This is because Windows 10 itself is then running in a virtual enviroment.

Here is the link to my Windows 10 64-Bit tested version:
DEQ2496-Control_Setup_V100_Windows10.exe beim Filehorst - filehorst.de

Please install it as Administrator.

Kind regards
BigD

Last edited:
error: can't open midi ports, they could be in use by another application

Thanks very much for your effort developing an useful DEQ2496 editing software. It worked well for couple of times but just found this error message when trying to run the application. It reads "can't open midi ports, they could be in use by another application". I run this on Win 10. Not sure you have ever encountered this problem.

Thanks very much for your effort developing an useful DEQ2496 editing software. It worked well for couple of times but just found this error message when trying to run the application. It reads "can't open midi ports, they could be in use by another application". I run this on Win 10. Not sure you have ever encountered this problem.

Attachments

• no DEQ2496 found error.jpg
    no DEQ2496 found error.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 494

Hello, sorry for my late replay. But I'm a handicapped people and I couldn't answer earlier.
There seems to be two different problems:
1. In your screenshoot, my tool sees the midi ports provided by Midi-OX but the DEQ2496 doesn't answer. In the Midi-OX windows you see that the request is beeing send by my tool to the midi-port but there is no answer tfrom the midi-device. I saw this issue while development witch cheap midi-interfaces <10 EUR and Windows 10. Also this happened while windows is running in a virtual mashine.

2. The message 'Can't open MIDI Ports, they could be in use by antother application.' comes up if Midi-OX doesn't report a free midi-device. I saw this behavior when Midi-OK is running twice. Please check in your taskmanager if it is already running.

Kind regard

@BIgD71 Is there any chance of getting the app for Mac? Or ... accessing the sourcecode?

I just need the change between saved settings. So, if a Mac app is too much work, maybe you can help me build the SysEx messages I need, so that I load them into SysEx librarian?
Sorry for my late replay. I will not do a Mac-Version. To change between saved settings can NOT be done by a SysEx message.
It is a simple ProgrammChange PC Midi-Message.

This is the bitmapping:

Bitwise: 1100 nnnn
while nnnn is 4 Bit Binary for the Midi Channel.
This starts with 0000 for Channel One and ends up with 1111 for Channel 16.

So for example to the DEQ2496 is on Channel One:
Bitwise: 1100 0000
Decimal 192

So the Message is
192,xxx
where xxx is the number of the saved preset.

Kind regards

Thank you for the great tool! It works well on my hyper-v enabled system, despite my expectations. Perhaps my system is just fast enough for the overhead not to matter? It is a ryzen 9 5900x.

Anyway, if possible can you release the source code, for example on Github? It would be greatly appreciated! Even just a zip file with building instructions would be amazing. There are some small bugs to fix (for example in the screenshot tool, the pages dropdown doesn't always work initially) and I would love to contribute.

V1.08
V1.08 Many Bug fixes in PEQ, and REW Import

REW Import updated to new file format of REW5.20

Bypass warning messages
Note: I give a warning message in FBD linked to the PEQ bypass.
But i could not figure out if FBD is also bypassed when PEQ
is bypassed.

Discovered a new DEQ2496 Firmware bug in Version 2.5:
In Stereo Link mode it is not possible to set Attack/Release-Time and
Frequency in DEQ#3 via sysEx, Work around implemented

In PEQ you can now enter a frequency by numbers
Note:The DEQ works with fixed frequencies so i try to find the
next close to your entry

PEQ and FBD are now in sperate windows

Please Note: The DEQ2496 set the BW and the GAIN automatically in
SINGLE or AUTO-Mode. This means that the DEQ2496 will reset both
values to default by switching power on/off or load another preset.
I'm using the preset load/save mechanism as work around to store
PEQ values in Firmware 2.5. See my video for more:

Please send Bug Reports to:
BigD.DEQ@gmail.com

Credits:
Christian for REW 5.20 Import bugreport and testing
Dani for Layout of FBD Window
Yeminny for bugreport of DEQ#3

Dowload Link:
https://filehorst.de/d/eklsAsHq

Hello, sorry for my late replay. But I'm a handicapped people and I couldn't answer earlier.
There seems to be two different problems:
1. In your screenshoot, my tool sees the midi ports provided by Midi-OX but the DEQ2496 doesn't answer. In the Midi-OX windows you see that the request is beeing send by my tool to the midi-port but there is no answer tfrom the midi-device. I saw this issue while development witch cheap midi-interfaces <10 EUR and Windows 10. Also this happened while windows is running in a virtual mashine.

2. The message 'Can't open MIDI Ports, they could be in use by antother application.' comes up if Midi-OX doesn't report a free midi-device. I saw this behavior when Midi-OK is running twice. Please check in your taskmanager if it is already running.

Kind regard
Thanks you very much. Your new DEQ2496-Control_Setup_V108b update seems to work very well. Once again, appreciated your help and thanks.

Greatly appreciated here from Hawaii. I just happened to stumble upon this page, and as of this moment, it's functioning perfectly what I use it for. Thanks again for your generous donation of time and effort that I imagine went into this. Bought a USB-MIDI converter this evening from GC- It's called a mio, worked flawlessly without the need to install additional drivers. No problems whatsoever. I mention the brand name of the USB/MIDI converter to hopefully provide another datapoint/feedback. This is running on Windows 11 22H2.

Mahalo's Biggie!! Big ups!

BigD71, last evening I successfully did a basic test of your DEQ2496-Control app with my DEQ2496 v2.5.

Your app was installed on an old Win Vista era HP convertible running a Core 2 Duo and Win 10 v1909--a backup/test computer I use for such tests.

The Midi interface was an old M-Audio Fast Track Pro that is not officially compatible with Win 10. It will blue screen if USB is removed while powered on.

I was pleasantly surprised about how full-featured your app is.

You brought new life into my 2496! Thank you very much!

I'm an IT geek so if you need your app tested with a particular operating system let me know.

New Version 1.0.0.10
Many thanks to CGF who reported problem while importing files from REW 5.30.9

Bug is fixed in the new Version.
Also QuickChange has improved. It can now read the clear names of a preset and stores it in the registry for next time use. Ich you changed any name of a preset you have to update the list again.

Download new Installer here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14G68GfEAcZielNJEh5bJVxPjtFpJwHZH/view?usp=sharing

Hello,
welcome to my new tool for the Behringer DEQ-2496.
I love this gadget but turning knobs and pressing small buttons is not what I
like.
So I decided do create DEQ2496-Control because Simon Rhode (seoman)
stops his project DEQ2496-Remote. I've tested my Tool up to Windows 7 64
bits.
DEQ2496-Control is tailored to my personal needs. May be that I expand the
functionality in the future but everything I need is working.
You can use it free of charge. Use it on your own risks.

Please read the attached PDF before you use it.

DEQ2496Control-V099-Setup

Kind regards
BigD
Hello BigD,

I've just started using the DEQ2496-Control program and I'm really liking what I've seen so far. Nice work!
I'm interested in writing a small utility that would use the Preset-list.txt file for selecting presets by name and send program change messages to send to the DEQ2496.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to create something that would just export the data saved in the Preset-list.txt file?
I'm hopeful that you would be willing to give me some information that would help point me in the right direction. It would be greatly appreciated...

Regards,
Big_Goomba

@Big_Gooba
To answer your question complete:
There is no direct way to read the Preset-Name from the DEQ2497.

You have to send a SysEx Command to the DEQ2496 to retrieve the whole preset:

F0 00 20 32 7F 12 60 xx F7 where xx is the presetnr. in hex.

Then you got 378 Bytes back from the DEQ2496.

The Preset-Name starts at byte 360 dec.

You have to repeat this procedure for all presets (64 times).

There may be another way to help you. I store the name of the presets in the regestry. Here is the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VB and VBA Program Settings\DEQ2496Control\Memory

Kind regards