New to the site, need help...where to start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a car audio guy and really don't know much about home equipment. I'm clueless as to where to even start. I thought a source unit would be the first logical step.

I love music and understand audio. I'm familiar with everything car audio but I'd really like to start some projects for home.

I would like to find a good cd player to start with but I don't know what equipment is good or bad. All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Home Audio is just like car Audio, you need a source, amplifiers and speakers!

The simplest DIY project would be probably an amplifier, you have some projects in the diystore with prefabricated chassis, which make it very easy to build with little electronics knowledge. Speakers can be easy if you buy premade cabinets and there are some places in the web that sell those along with the drivers and crossovers, pretty much a complete kit.
For the source, a dac with some sort of volume control should be easy to fund as well in kit form, search the specific forums for each of the above and start reading, lots of info and it can be somewhat confusing, but the more you read the more you learn! ;)

If you want specific advice regarding projects, you should really specify you space (small or large living room, or office) budget, skills, etc.

"If you want specific advice regarding projects, you should really specify you space (small or large living room, or office) budget, skills, etc"

It's for a small room. I'd really like to find a source unit first but need advice on where to start. I've tried reading up on them but most of the topics are pretty specific to a particular source unit. Could anyone recommend an inexpensive unit to start with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.