New to forum and first DIY project underway...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. Glad to be a part of the full range family. This is my first DIY speaker project. I purchased the Fostex folded horn kit with the FE 126 EN. So far I am impressed...dare I say they are better then my Klipsch RF62 speakers? Well they are pretty close. Let's say different. Certainly a more manageable size.

I have also contacted Ed for one of the EnABLE kits...I will do this next to see what result I get...but I have a mere 10 hours on them [in one day]. I am driving them with a Jolida 202BRC and my main source is a VPI Traveler w/MC and JD9 [modified] phono stage.

Loving this DIY stuff!

I also have a pair of Tang Band W4-1320 drivers coming in to "experiment" with.

Any good one stop source for speaker design basics?

Parts Express Tech Talk forum is a DIY speaker builder's toy store. Lots of great members willing to share, chat, PM, whatever...
Plus, there's this Speaker Building Bible thread
The Speaker Building Bible
Have fun with it and welcome to the addiction! :)
Mike

Update on builds....

So here are some photos of the speakers as I have completed my room testing. The grilles are to keep my grand kids from poking fingers into the drivers...off when focused on listening. I am not getting into any special finish here, simply a semi mat black. These are pretty much stock except for treating the drivers with duct putty and filling the corner voids with sand for extra damping [which is a marked improvement] and upgrading the internal wire w/soldered connections. Once they have over 100 hours on them I will do an EnABLE treatment [per the Planet10 method]. I have all of the materials on hand now.

So far these are sounding pretty good but from what I understand they improve a lot after 100 hours or more. In the interim I am in line for a Frugel-Horn Flat Pack and plan to install Alpair 7 drivers. This set will be finished to the hilt ;)

I have become a real full range fan. I think it's their "honesty" in reproducing sound. As I sit here I have the Alpairs mounted in cardboard baffles for a break in period [hooked up to a NAD amp w/tube pre amp]and they sound pretty nice. The highs are very precise and clean. I think these will be a step up. They actually fit like a glove into the Fostex cabinets but I have no calculations that say these will perform their best in those. I may give them a try once the initial 20 hour break in is complete.

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot the photos....

Attachments

• Fostex Build 001.JPG
    Fostex Build 001.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Fostex Build 002.JPG
    Fostex Build 002.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Fostex Build 003.JPG
    Fostex Build 003.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 254
As I sit here I have the Alpairs mounted in cardboard baffles for a break in period [hooked up to a NAD amp w/tube pre amp]and they sound pretty nice. The highs are very precise and clean. I think these will be a step up. They actually fit like a glove into the Fostex cabinets but I have no calculations that say these will perform their best in those. I may give them a try once the initial 20 hour break in is complete.

Well, since you have the horn ready and the speakers seem to fit, by all means try!
I don't expect the bass to sound correct but even so I am curious about your feedback.

scaleautoart,

Please not that the break-in period for the MA Alp 7 is greater than 20 hours. However many of DIYers who've built speakers using the Alp 7.3 feel that the sound is well worth the wait. :)

Have fun!

Yes...I am aware of this [thanks]. I was referring to the "initial" break in period that they recommend. This is light vocals, etc at low volumes. I am now past that and ready to start running them in on the folded horns. I don't think it hurts to get some time on them while I wait for the Frugels which will be at least a few weeks.

I mounted the Markaudio Alpair 7 drivers into the Fostex folded horns today and even after a mere 20 hours of break in they surpass the 126 drivers that they are designed for....much smoother highs and deeper base [actually the 126 drivers display little base at this point but I only have about 50 hours on them].

I can only assume that in the FH3 enclosures they will really shine.

Flying strictly by the seat of my pants I mocked up a set of Supra Baffles which also made the drivers flush. To me these have widened the sound stage. I tend to listen pretty close up so it helps in this case.

As can be seen one speaker sits on a hearth and the other is propped up on a box until I make a base for it. Yes...this is an odd setup but I am getting decent results.

Attachments

• Alpair 7 with Supra Baffle 001.JPG
    Alpair 7 with Supra Baffle 001.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Alpair 7 with Supra Baffle 002.JPG
    Alpair 7 with Supra Baffle 002.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 147
A quick follow up on the Alpair 7 drivers in this enclosure...pretty darn good. Only thing I would think might apply is to rebate the opening or make a baffle [similar to my test photos].

Again...I am new at this and very few have chimed in with suggestions or advice in my direction. Dave from Planet10 tells me the FH3 enclosures would have more "finesse". The question is would it make sense to use the FH3 to get the most out of these Alpair drivers or would the change be subtle?

FWIW, early on, Markaudio cautioned that horn loading its drivers wasn't a good plan, so there's been little experimentation AFAIK, so it wouldn't hurt to ask if this is still true with its more current products.

The FH3 OTOH doesn't load the driver anywhere near the same as a traditional BLH such as the Fostex design even though at a glance they are both what I call big vent reflexes [BVRs], i.e. 1/4 WL TL loading over most of its BW with only its HF BW being 1/2 WL horn loaded, so probably OK for Markaudio products since they work well in other mass loaded [vented] TL alignments [aka MLTL] where there's been much experimentation/build results posted.

GM

Whoa! That's a lot of dots!

I have my work cut out for me :headbash:

If you've not already contacted Dave re the location of additional rings, you should probably do so .

Re Alpairs in the FH3 - a great combo - the 7s definitely benefit from being rebated for flush mounting in any enclosure. If you decide to accommodate that with a separate baffle, be sure to enlarge the opening on front panel to avoid restriction at rear of driver.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.