New to FLAC files, need advice

In the interests of researching newer formats I have ... how can I say this delicately ... "acquired" a number of FLAC files. I can burn these to a CD using standard burning software and they play fine in my Oppo UDP-203 player.

The problem comes about when the files exceed the size of a standard CD. I have tried burning the FLAC files as audio files to a DVD but my burning software (BurnAware) won't allow that, telling me to insert a CD. D'oh! I can also save them to a DVD as data files and use the TV as a menu to play them, but the playback is mighty weird. Specifically, the two channels are out of time with each other, which gives an odd pulsating/echo effect and is very unpleasant. So, I made a few drink coasters so far. :)

I'm guessing that FLAC files store the data in chunks rather than interleaving them, but whatever it does this only seems to be an issue with the files large enough to need a DVD. i.e. 24/96 and 24/192 formats. I have tried to convert them to WAV format but have been unsuccessful so far, and in fact I'm unsure if WAV even supports such high resolution.

1. Any suggestions for a PC user (not Mac, not Linux) gratefully accepted. Preferrably not commercial software since this is of idle interest only.
2. It would also be nice to know what I'm supposed to do with DFF files, which also seem to be available. I've never heard of that format.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the files play fine using VLC media player, so they're not faulty. I also tried using a USB stick in the UDP-203 and got the same problem so it's not specific to the disc itself. The UDP-203 is supposed to be able to play FLAC files but it maybe it has issues with high-res formats. Insufficient buffering?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Maybe it is time to discover the virtues of a streamer. Many of those around all with specific features. If you like ease of use the Elac DS-S101-G can be advised. Good device with excellent software. It plays FLAC 24/192 without any issue provided you don't buy one of the early ones. Many DIY solutions around too but it will be an expensive affair when one likes Roon (which is one of the best interfaces/software available).

IMHO it makes not much sense to burn FLAC files to optical media as they were more or less also meant to avoid optical media :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Agree, why go to disc? For years I've used JRiver media player which out to stream right to your OPPO. It's not free, but has a 30 day trial, AFAIK. There are plenty of others, but JRiver is a good all-rounder with good support. It does video and audio and has built in DSP, too.

Guys, I'm already aware of the alternatives. I have two small NAS boxes - a Synology and a QNAP - and also a very large rackmounted Synology NAS here already. I may be old but I'm not out of date (yet).

The specific question deals with transferring audio to DVD. @kazap: USB fails too, as outlined in the OP.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Seeing your respose makes one think you don’t have a high res capable solid state streamer despite the NAS devices.

Transferring audio files to DVD (who plays those in 2021?) IS outdated. Also the Oppo type X does not accept either the self burnt DVD’s nor the USB stick so it’s time to move on. In fact it was alteady like this 15 years ago.

Last edited:
@jean-paul I've already pointed out that I'm only fooling about with HD formats out of curiosity. In the long term there isn't enough program materials available at reasonable prices to take it seriously.

You're right, I don't have a streamer set up. Until 12 months ago I lived on a yacht, so such systems weren't viable. I'm also unconvinced that the quality of such a setup is worth the cost at this stage.

None of which answers the original question. It's OK if you don't know.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well you don't live on the yacht anymore since 12 months so such systems are very viable. You are unconvinced of a 500 $ investment then leave it. Just play CD's ;) Not many will answer what you want to hear.

Reality: FLAC and high res FLAC are the de facto standard. Optical media are dinosaurs and prone to wear out just like the players. For those FLAC files, be it 16/44.1 or 24/192, one needs "a device" that plays these lossless files of which an USB enabled CD player is the least of possible options. A good source is one of the more important devices in a chain. Throw in all that classic V-FET madness but having a mediocre source will not be to your likings. This counts also for 16/44.1 red book files that are played quite good on low jitter "solid state" players. High res is nice but it is not an absolute "must".

It's OK if you don't know.

Don't worry, I know. It is time you know.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I know. It is all about the tone and not about content. The only viable answer is that the source and the method are both not up to the task. Whether we like it or not, the market shifts to high res big time.

Anecdote: many of the older guys I know pretend that they upgrade to more modern sources but when they do they like to make those choices and setups that prove old stuff is best. So, in effect, no modern source or format can be any good and any attempt is just an attempt. When asked they respond that LPs are the way to go, speakers built in 1960 are the best and amplifiers should have ultra rare classic parts :D

Last edited:
That's entirely untrue. I've successfully transferred quadrophonic DVDA to DVD-R disc and it plays just fine. (Thijs Van Leer's Introspection album). Transferring FLAC seems to be problematic though. Surely there are some software tools out there capable of this.

So, the source - DVD-R - is up to the task. What's the method, oh guru? :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Dear V-FET guru, please go on burning modern FLAC DVD's. (there are 50 Euro devices out there who play these files without a hitch from either USB or network, even DSD).

My suggested method, to answer your question with hard content by this suddenly promoted guru®: your Oppo device is network capable and as I just checked it should be capable to playback high res files from your NAS devices. So you can omit burning FLAC DVD's altogether as it is a completely unnecessary exercise in your setup.

This is what Oppo says: Lossless Audio Decoding: The UDP-203’s video performance and universal compatibility is further complemented by its support of lossless high resolution audio. The player decodes audio file formats such as AIFF, WAV, ALAC, APE and FLAC. It also directly plays Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) audio files in stereo or multi-channel. Built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi or Gigabit Ethernet connects the UDP-203 to users’ home networks, so users can easily play media files stored on computers and home servers.

RTFM really. Make sure the firmware is up to date:

OPPO Digital - Support

Last edited:
Try Audacity as an editor, it is very capable and can read and convert almost anything.
To convert DSD to WAV I use Tascam Hi-Res Editor (it does not read FLAC), also extremely capable.
Both are free software:
Audacity (R) | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.
TASCAM Hi-Res Editor | OVERVIEW | TASCAM - United States

WAV can be Hi-Res, see what the TASCAM can do.
Only issue is then the playback, my Sony SACD player cannot read WAV above 96k, but 24bit is fine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Converting DSD files to WAV with software that does not know FLAC only to burn them on a DVD is a complicated way when one has a device capable of playing unconverted WAV/DSD/FLAC high res files from already existing NAS device (where the files are stored) and an available network.

Just saying, being a guru and all.

Last edited:
In the past I used Lplex to burn files to DVD audio discs that would play on any standard DVD player.

Not an easy learning curve but you may find the cost (free) worth the effort.
It ran fine on Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux and should be ok on Win7
bob

lplex

Edit...some further info...
For files 24-96; 24-48; 16-96; 16-48; is best to create a DVD-V. This is multiplex audio tracks in VOB files in a VIDEO_TS folder. It is a procedure lossless (you are creating a DVD-V with only audio). The disc can be played on any DVD player.

I recommend Lplex. Just drag the folder to the shortcut and automatically create an ISO (DVD-V) image to burn to DVD-R.

The only limitation is that only accepts 48 and 96 khz based files

Last edited:
Thanks Stanislav. That will come in handy, and it's free! I always liked free stuff, which is why I wrote so much of it.

Forgot to say that your smart phone with the right software qualifies as a HD music player. Some phones, mostly LG, can even play DSD.
I use my old Windows phone with Groove Music to play 24 bit / 128k FLAC and WAV.
All you need is a big Micro SD card, depending on how much the phone can accommodate.