New to audio, wanting to learn

Hi,

I am a high schooler who is very intrigued by audio design and electronic engineering, but unfortunately, I have zero (or minimal) knowledge of both topics and wanted to see if anyone here would be able to point me in the right direction to start learning. I have always loved taking apart electronics (RC cars, old electronics, etc..) but have never been able to truly grasp how to create these things, specifically, I want to create my sound systems, and frankly, I feel as though reading a book the length of a door wouldn't necessarily help; but rather lose interest - quite fast (adhd ;) ). Any advice is great and would love to make some connections with people who are experienced in the field of diy audio. Godspeed, -Maxwell0

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Welcome to the forum.

Here's what I think is a good start to learn about all different components and their use.
https://www.electronicshub.org/tutorials/

Other topics are covered as well:

Hub.jpg

Of course, this forum has incredible good threads to learn about anything audio, but that site is more condensed.

I feel as though reading a book the length of a door wouldn't necessarily help; but rather lose interest - quite fast (adhd ;) ).
As I understand it, in high school they don’t teach electronics and mathematical methods for analyzing linear electrical circuits. Because of this, it will be very difficult for you to understand what is being done in audio and why.

The fact that you like to disassemble electronic products is a sign of your orientation and if you have good grades in mathematics and physics in school, then this suggests that you can explore the big world of electronics as a professional if you go to a college that teaches you applied subjects. At this stage of your training, of course, you can try to learn the basics of electronics on your own, but in my opinion this is very difficult to do.

Hi,

I am a high schooler who is very intrigued by audio design and electronic engineering, but unfortunately, I have zero (or minimal) knowledge of both topics and wanted to see if anyone here would be able to point me in the right direction to start learning. I have always loved taking apart electronics (RC cars, old electronics, etc..) but have never been able to truly grasp how to create these things, specifically, I want to create my sound systems, and frankly, I feel as though reading a book the length of a door wouldn't necessarily help; but rather lose interest - quite fast (adhd ;) ). Any advice is great and would love to make some connections with people who are experienced in the field of diy audio. Godspeed, -Maxwell0
My best advice to you is whenever possible start by doing. I kind of envy the position you are in. Didn’t get into this hobby until in my 30’s. I have been reading a lot and watching videos on the subject, but theory is only part of it.

The reason I personally love DIY audio is that I get to learn how a circuit works, or how I think it works, built it and at the end I have something tangible that I built with my own two hands. That satisfaction is addicting, moving you along to what is next. Next project you learn a little bit more, and oh boy does it sound good!

If books are not your jam, check out the burning amp lectures by Nelson Pass on youtube and in the burning amp website. Bob Cordell is also excellent! Easy to understand and go back to.

Read Nelson Pass articles on the first watt website. 6 to 12 page articles covering a plethora of topics.

Then find your first project. I have built the ACP+ and the ACA Mini. Excellent first projects. Brings everything you need for it.

You will need tools, digital multi-meter, soldering iron and a couple of other things. Check @Toys4Boys post on tools for newbies.

That is my advice, be warned thou, it may become an addiction! This community goes thru length's to make amplifier building easy for newcomers.

Ps: precaution when dealing with electricity, probably best if your parents or someone who knows about electricity helps you out with your first project.

Reactions: 1 user
High school?
The perfect place and moment to start.
I did that, before starting Engineering at the University which of course was the logical follow-up.

Best houses are those built on solid foundations.

Go to your local/school library and get a Physics book.
The older the better, because you must understand the concepts first; Math comes later , great tool, but of not much use if you don't learn first what and why something is happening.
Read and learn the chapters about Electricity and Magnetism

But ... but ... I want to learn Electronics, not Physics.

Ok, think again.
Those old books will teach you what is (and how it works), in no particular order:
Current
Voltage
Conductor
Insulator
Resistance
Switch
Battery
Capacitor
Resistor
Inductor
Transformer
Generator
Electric motor
Potentiometer
(Needle) meter

All of Electronics "house" is built using those "bricks", go figure.

More complex elements are typically variations or combinations or extensions of those above.

As in:
Transistor : TRANsference reSISTOR
Integrated circuit: a combination of the above inside a single package.
"Tube" 🙄, actually "Electronic Valve" (not surprised Brits say it right): the valve (faucet) which controls Electron flow.
Diode: an insulator one way, a Conductor the other way, with some Voltage drop.

Hope I made my point. 😄

Long path?
Not really, it ends up being the shorter one.

By the way, what Math level will you need?
Same as you are using now st High School.

Reactions: 1 user
Just answered a post offering tourmaline and other semi precious rocks filled RCA connectors, which are supposed to "change sound".

IF OP had studied what I suggest, in this case High School level definitions of "capacitor" and "dielectric" , he would have noticed on his own that those supposed advantages or differences make no sense from a Physics point of view.

Not knowing "the Basics" turns Audio and Electronics into "Magic" , opinion and Faith based statements with no base.

Sadly this is prevalent in the Audio world, even contaminating DIYAudio itself, go figure.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well, taking you at your ADHD word, and hoping your idea of zero (minimal) knowledge matches mine, I'd recommend simple lesson-experiments a bit at a time to get a foundation that doesn't drive you nuts and makes the next step seem pretty simple.

Keith Brindley's 'Starting Electronics' is a great little book that will walk you through the most basic concepts of electronics step by step over a span of 10 chapters, starting with some theory and from the second chapter begin to add a few parts at a time ending up with bipolar transistors and basic digital integrated chips.

Parts acquisition is a manageable few at a time (chapter two starts you off with the biggest investment of a meter , breadboard , and six resistors, chapter three adds a three more resistors, #4 adds some capacitors and a switch . . . . . )

Each chapter teaches formulas you will use everyday in making your own circuits and a thing I really appreciate is a few short questions at the end of each chapter just to get you to check that you actually took the stuff in.

I have the second edition but later might be better or not, I've no idea. You can download a copy off the internet from the archive but you can get a hard copy HERE.