New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made TA2024 and TA2020 before, I also think they are cooler, and this is because they have lower power compare to TK2050, even when idle state.
Our T1 will be cooler than T2, that because T1 use only one power chip, and same heatsink as T2. But I think for T2, the temperature is acceptable now. At least it's still cooler compare to class-AB ones.

TI with ALPS, T2 4700uf, T2 10,000uf Battle off

Hi,

I said I would get back with the review on the T1 with ALPS, but I had to let it break in for awhile. Then I began to compare all three of my 2050 amps from hifimediy. So I have made several determinations about my listening experiences with them.

The first 2050 amp I received was the T2 with the 10,000uf (black cap) with my meanwell. I believe it should have been the T2 with the 4700uf cap (Gold cap). Anyway I wasn't impressed with it that much, but again this is when I only had the one. It had plenty of PUNCH and dynamics and a solid midrange in the center placement. Not bad, but it didn't have the articulation and "involvement" of my favorite Class T amps the musical TA2020 chip amps. But clearly it had better defined bass and punch then the 2020 chips. Ok, I still had heard wonderful things about the T2 amp that I should have received the T2 4700uf with my meanwell T2 package purchase, I purchased them (together)? The T2 10,000uf is more for Toroidal applications, I guess.

So next I purchased both the T2 4700UF and the T1 with ALPS. Had a shipping error, and I only received the T2 4700. So I hooked it up to the meanwell. After some break-in, it became apparent that this is the T2 I read the reviews about having the beautiful midrange and sound produced wonderfully in the center listening position. Yep, there it was lot's of articulation and resolution and "involvement" with the music, you get variance of the vocals and a wonderful midrange. A clearly wonderful amp!!! It did not quite have the punch and dynamics of the T2 10,000uf, but that is probably because I am running a pair of 8 ohm Paradigm Monitor 3 v3's. But it doesn't matter, just turn it up more and enjoy that midrange and sweet sound! :)

Then a week or so later, they sent the T1 with ALPS that was not shippied by mistake. Steinar sent it air mail to get it to me faster, air mail for free, (Thanks again Steinar) so I received it quickly. The T1 ALPS arrived. I hooked it up. I posted a quick post about the channel seperation being very good, and the resolution was a tad better than the T2 4700uf, this was before break in. So now after breaking in and playing and comparing to the other two amps. Here is the story with the T1 Alps. It has amazing dynamics, even better than the T2 10,000 maybe. I was listening to it for around 2 weeks on and off and it was the same story, it has the wow factor with dynamics like the T2 10,000 but not the midrange of the T2's. It also never was able to produce the midrange vocals in the center position like the T2's. It also seems to sound "cold", if you will compared to the T2's. It also seems like you are not quite as involved with the music as with the T2's. You are more enveloped with the soundfield of the T2's than the T1 with ALPS. I kept wanting it to beat the T2's :) but it never happened.

Conclusions:

WINNER: THE T2 4700uf. Just buy one! As close to the musicality of a Charlize 2020 amp as I've heard from a Class T amp.

Runner up: The T2 10,000UF. Plenty of dynamics anf punch! It just lacks the articulation and "involvement" and musicality of the T2 4700.

*I recently purchased a Tube pre-amp/headphone amp. and my thought is it will really help both the T2 10,000 and the T1 ALPS. More on that later.

Yep, last is the T1 ALPS. With all of that resolution and dynamics I really wanted it to be there. But as I stated above, it never came alive if you will.

I'm now looking a a T4, later, I don't want to **** the wife off too much. Too late, but still I better wait on the T4.

Hey, Steinar, I'm really interested in that new 4 channel 2050 you mentioned here! When is that hitting ebay?

Cheers!

Hi,

I said I would get back with the review on the T1 with ALPS, but I had to let it break in for awhile. Then I began to compare all three of my 2050 amps from hifimediy. So I have made several determinations about my listening experiences with them.

The first 2050 amp I received was the T2 with the 10,000uf (black cap) with my meanwell. I believe it should have been the T2 with the 4700uf cap (Gold cap). Anyway I wasn't impressed with it that much, but again this is when I only had the one. It had plenty of PUNCH and dynamics and a solid midrange in the center placement. Not bad, but it didn't have the articulation and "involvement" of my favorite Class T amps the musical TA2020 chip amps. But clearly it had better defined bass and punch then the 2020 chips. Ok, I still had heard wonderful things about the T2 amp that I should have received the T2 4700uf with my meanwell T2 package purchase, I purchased them (together)? The T2 10,000uf is more for Toroidal applications, I guess.

So next I purchased both the T2 4700UF and the T1 with ALPS. Had a shipping error, and I only received the T2 4700. So I hooked it up to the meanwell. After some break-in, it became apparent that this is the T2 I read the reviews about having the beautiful midrange and sound produced wonderfully in the center listening position. Yep, there it was lot's of articulation and resolution and "involvement" with the music, you get variance of the vocals and a wonderful midrange. A clearly wonderful amp!!! It did not quite have the punch and dynamics of the T2 10,000uf, but that is probably because I am running a pair of 8 ohm Paradigm Monitor 3 v3's. But it doesn't matter, just turn it up more and enjoy that midrange and sweet sound! :)

Then a week or so later, they sent the T1 with ALPS that was not shippied by mistake. Steinar sent it air mail to get it to me faster, air mail for free, (Thanks again Steinar) so I received it quickly. The T1 ALPS arrived. I hooked it up. I posted a quick post about the channel seperation being very good, and the resolution was a tad better than the T2 4700uf, this was before break in. So now after breaking in and playing and comparing to the other two amps. Here is the story with the T1 Alps. It has amazing dynamics, even better than the T2 10,000 maybe. I was listening to it for around 2 weeks on and off and it was the same story, it has the wow factor with dynamics like the T2 10,000 but not the midrange of the T2's. It also never was able to produce the midrange vocals in the center position like the T2's. It also seems to sound "cold", if you will compared to the T2's. It also seems like you are not quite as involved with the music as with the T2's. You are more enveloped with the soundfield of the T2's than the T1 with ALPS. I kept wanting it to beat the T2's :) but it never happened.

Conclusions:

WINNER: THE T2 4700uf. Just buy one! As close to the musicality of a Charlize 2020 amp as I've heard from a Class T amp.

Runner up: The T2 10,000UF. Plenty of dynamics anf punch! It just lacks the articulation and "involvement" and musicality of the T2 4700.

*I recently purchased a Tube pre-amp/headphone amp. and my thought is it will really help both the T2 10,000 and the T1 ALPS. More on that later.

Yep, last is the T1 ALPS. With all of that resolution and dynamics I really wanted it to be there. But as I stated above, it never came alive if you will.

I'm now looking a a T4, later, I don't want to **** the wife off too much. Too late, but still I better wait on the T4.

Hey, Steinar, I'm really interested in that new 4 channel 2050 you mentioned here! When is that hitting ebay?

Cheers!

which tube pre u bought?

Hifimediy and Nick - I finally ordered a V2 earlier today :) I had to fight to get some TDA8920 boards working:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/192969-yuanjing-tda8920b-board-unstable-50khz.html

and so I am looking forward to getting my hands on a stable Class D/T amp (well, I have a 2024 unit, but that is underpowered).

Thanks for all your work here - I just paged through 177 pages of this thread - that was one of the things persuading me I needed a better engineered solution :)

Conclusions:

Cheers!

well i'm a bit shocked to read this, cause i have a charlize ta2020 heavy modded amp, and i'm following a lot of topics lately. what to buy, a 41hz, an arjan helder, a hifidiy...

i tought that a sta517 would blow a ta2020 out of the water ?
not really, mmm anybody with a different opinion on this matter ?

thanks

thanks
Tripath07 has not yet tried an amp with Sta517B. He mentions he will get a T4 in the future.

My personal experience is a clear preference for hifimediy T2 versus Ta2020 (I have 2 : arjen helder and hlly). I also compared with ta2022 and preferred T2. Tripaths do not all sound the same. I hear a difference between ta2020, tk2050 and ta3020 ;)

For tk2050, hifimediy are the best ready-made boards available imho.

well i'm a bit shocked to read this, cause i have a charlize ta2020 heavy modded amp, and i'm following a lot of topics lately. what to buy, a 41hz, an arjan helder, a hifidiy...

thanks

From what I can gather the general consensus seems to be that even for low power applications the TK2050 amps are generally slightly better SQ wise than the TA2020 but remember its not just the chip. The Charlize may just be a TA2020 but it is a very well implemented one with I understand higher quality parts than generally used. Provided you don't need the extra power available from the TK2050 amps the Charlize may well be able to give them a run for their money.

Hi then_dude,

I wrote:
Quote:
Conclusions:

Cheers!

You wrote:

thanks

My reply:

I said "As close to the musicality of a Charlize 2020 amp as I've heard from a Class T amp."The Charlize is still more musical, but the T2 4700uf is as close as I've heard from another amp with an differnet chip other than the TA2020.
Plus your Charlize is "heavy modded". My favorite chip is still the TA2020. But the T2 4700uf is an amazing amplifier, and other than musicallity (which is close) it has some other advantages over the charlize, imo.

Also the T2 4700uf USES: The STA505.

" HIFIMEDIY T2 2*100W TRIPATH CLASS-T (CLASS-D) audio amplifier using TK2050 chipset, TC2000 and paralleled STA505 "

Also the specs help the sound. The (0.005% THD+N @70w 4Ω) is noticable.

I'll be posting my listening tests on my latest TA2020 amp purchase soon. On another thread!

Cheers!

Features:
- Comes fully assembled, as pictured.
- 2*100W into 4 ohm. Speakers can be 4-8ohm.
- Input impedance: 50KOhm. (20Kohm if you remove the pot)
- Input sensitivity: 1.5V
- Gain: 15x
- Audiophile Quality Sound (0.005% THD+N @70w 4Ω)
- Dynamic range >100dB
- Onboard volume control
- Onboard powersupply (AC to DC conversion)
- Power input : DC 22V to 31V or AC 16V – 22V
- Fanless heatsink
- On/off relay, preventing "pop" in speakers during on/off
- MKP input 3.3uf input caps
- Does not support bridging
- Dimensions: 128x81x38mm, PCB thickness 2mm
- Weight: 250g

Tripath07 has not yet tried an amp with Sta517B. He mentions he will get a T4 in the future.

My personal experience is a clear preference for hifimediy T2 versus Ta2020 (I have 2 : arjen helder and hlly). I also compared with ta2022 and preferred T2. Tripaths do not all sound the same. I hear a difference between ta2020, tk2050 and ta3020 ;)

For tk2050, hifimediy are the best ready-made boards available imho.

How do you compare the ta3020 to the others you have mentioned? I own several 2020, 2024,& 2050 amps and have heard so little about the 3020.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I NOTICED A NEW CHANGE TO THE T2 10000uf model!

Hi PandazYa,

"Tripath07 I can't find your T2 with those 4700uF on hifimediy website! "

It's been gone for a little while? Don't know why, maybe e-mail them and they will sell it to you?

It's still at the HIFIMEDIY website. (below) They now call it the original T2.

*** BUT... I NOTICED A NEW CHANGE TO THE T2 10000uf model!!

Thanks PandazYa! Since I just checked the website I noticed they have just made a NEW CHANGE to THE T2 10000uf MODEL!!! The T2 10000uf NOW INCLUDES the Nichicon KG 10000uf cap. My 10000uf model just has some all black cap stamped RA39 on the top, and as I said in my review, it lacked the musicallity my T2 4700uf has, and that does have the Gold Nichicon 4700uf cap.

So, this change has occurred since that last time I checked the Hifimediy website.

I will be asking them if that is the same Gold Nichican cap just in the 10000uf version, sounds like it is. If so I will be ordering one!

Cause like I said the 10000uf did have more punch, so the new model could be VERY interesting, imo. :)

http://hifimediy.com/?page_id=18&category=1&product_id=30

Originally Posted by alkasar
"Tripath07 has not yet tried an amp with Sta517B. He mentions he will get a T4 in the future.

My personal experience is a clear preference for hifimediy T2 versus Ta2020 (I have 2 : arjen helder and hlly). I also compared with ta2022 and preferred T2. Tripaths do not all sound the same. I hear a difference between ta2020, tk2050 and ta3020

For tk2050, hifimediy are the best ready-made boards available imho."

Hi alkasar,

Yep, waiting on the T4.

I also like the T2, as you know!

I was wondering what you thought of the arjen helder TA2020 and is it the MKII or MKIII?

Thanks!

Concerning the cap I want to replace my 4700µF Nichicon by Mundorf M-lytic AG (the new generation), this is the best quality in audio for power caps.

If you look into the Virtue Amp you see each model have a different power cap, the most expensive have the largest cap (33000µF for the Sensation) so i'll try the Mundorf 33000µF/40v (35*60mm) when I come home (after the holidays).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.