New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 Module

Anyway, I have a question regarding balanced outputs from this board.

Is it possible to use all 4 of the outputs for a stereo balanced pair? Logic suggests splitting the signal and then inverting one of them which would create a +&-. Is this idea too good to be true? It would be very handy going in to switching amps.

:)

Hi how do you managed to get the 4 outputs since the extension board has only 3 output?

Hi how do you managed to get the 4 outputs since the extension board has only 3 output?

You need to get a 10pin connector (or cut the one supplied with the breakout board) and follow the pinout labels on the board for ins and outs for use without the extension board. I scrapped using the breakout board immediately because of this. I only bought it because it was £10 and worth experimenting with off the bat. (the pinout labels don't line up with the pins FYI, look out for this)

I haven't used any passive filtering component filtering as I had a look at the board and appears to have caps and inductors in place already. Maybe someone can correct me but I haven't had any issues with sound.

PH 2.0 Wire Cable Connector DIY PH2.0 JST 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/12/13/14Pin Electronic Line Single Connect Terminal Plug 26AWG 30cm-in Connectors from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'm glad this thread and device generated some ongoing interest.

I haven't been keeping up, but if anyone wants to identify some useful posts and/or summarize information on using this with third party programmers, etc, I'd be happy to add the info to the first post in the topic so people don't have to dig through 19+ pages to find essential info that other posters have shared.

I'm looking for a way to add DSP to a pair of 3-way speakers (stereo), and came across the Sure Electronics / Wondon products.

I'm a little confused on what I would need for my speakers, if I understand correctly the JAB3 works for stereo 2-way, but can it also do 3-way?

If not, can I solve that by using two JAB3's?
If so, would I get two times the mono "1x 100 Watt" or would I need two times the stereo "2 x 50 Watt" to have the needed outputs?
Or another combination?

Lastly I believe I could also use the "WONDOM ADAU1701 DSP Active Audio Crossover" paired with a conventional amplifier, would this unit allow for a stereo 3-way setup? Or would I need two of them?

I would be using SigmaStudio and not just the pots on the boards.

Much appreciated if someone could help me out with these basics before I decide on ordering any and diving deeper.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The ADAU1701 is an 8-channel device, but there are only 4 DAC channels. If you want to use the other channels, you need to add a DAC to one of the serial outputs. The required signals are available on the JAB3 DSP expansion port, so it is possible...

In the long run, it might be easier to use an ADAU1701 DSP board that already has the extra DAC and use a different set of power amps. There are a number of different 2x6 boards described in this article. The JAB3board has some circuitry that makes it well suited for battery operation, but those power-saving features might cause some issues, depending on your application. See this article for details.

I got JAB2 2x50 and JAB3 1x100 boards. They are kind of ment to connect together for 2.1 applications in mind but have some quirks. For example it is not possible to charge a battery pack while having them connected together. Anyway i'm curtently using the combination with a threeway speaker prototype.

See this, it is pretty cheap and rather easy diy DSP amp solution. As always, you get what you pay for :)

YouTube

Last edited:
I got JAB2 2x50 and JAB3 1x100 boards. They are kind of ment to connect together for 2.1 applications in mind but have some quirks. For example it is not possible to charge a battery pack while having them connected together. Anyway i'm curtently using the combination with a threeway speaker prototype.

See this, it is pretty cheap and rather easy diy DSP amp solution. As always, you get what you pay for :)

YouTube

Coincidentally I watched that youtube video today, but I was not sure what "4.0" meant. In their videos they also always use single driver speakers in stereo as example instead of for example 2-way stereo, making it a bit confusing.

So does 4.0 mean four 2-way speakers?
Meaning 8 channels and you have the software ability to configure those 8 channels in either stereo 4-way or quad 2-way?

And for the 2.1 labeled combination in the video:

If I understand correctly Jab3 has 8 DSP channels (like the ADAU1701) then uses four of those to send to the Jab2, which can then power 2-way stereo, and then the Jab3 uses channel number 5 to power a sub.

But if stereo means 4 drivers (2x 2-way) then mono means 2 drivers (1x 2-way) and this equals to maximum of 6 drivers, with the possibility to configure it as a stereo 3-way in the software?

Am I right to think that for your 3-way experiment you connect the Jab2 to the tweeters and mids on both speakers (Left and Right) and then Jab3 connected to the woofers in both left and right speaker?

Neil Davis mentioned that the ADAU1701 only has 4 DAC channels, does the Jab3 have 8 DAC channels or does it have 4 and then sends a digital signal to a Jab3 which contains 4 more DACS? (Or in case of a mono Jab3 then it contains 2 dacs, and the stereo Jab2 contains 4 dacs, totalling 6 dacs for stereo 3-way).

Excuse me for my long post, your time is much appreciated.

EDIT: If I combine the Jab2 and Jab3, do I also need to buy the programming module or can you program the DSP using the bluetooth on the Jab2?

Last edited:
The ADAU1701 is an 8-channel device, but there are only 4 DAC channels. If you want to use the other channels, you need to add a DAC to one of the serial outputs. The required signals are available on the JAB3 DSP expansion port, so it is possible...

In the long run, it might be easier to use an ADAU1701 DSP board that already has the extra DAC and use a different set of power amps. There are a number of different 2x6 boards described in this article. The JAB3board has some circuitry that makes it well suited for battery operation, but those power-saving features might cause some issues, depending on your application. See this article for details.

I'm looking to build two systems, for one the budget Jab2 + Jab3 option might be best, for the other the ADAU1701 DSP board could result in a higher quality sound solution.

If I input a digital signal to the ADAU1701 DSP then I can output a digital 6 channel signal from it? Going towards a separate 6 channel DAC?
Is it possible for this 6 channel dac to then go to a regular stereo amplifier or would I need 6 channel amplifier? (like for example a 5.1 or 7.1 surround amplifier)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The ADAU1701 is a great solution for a budget system where you don't need to expand beyond the 2 analog inputs and 4 analog outputs. And it also makes sense for a simple stereo 3-way design, because adding another DAC is cheap and easy. But when you start trying to work with digital inputs at different frequencies, or try to do a lot of processing, it is no longer a good choice.

The ADAU1701 is normally run at 48KHz, and you can easily work with signals that are multiples of that frequency (96K or 192K). But there are other devices such as CD players and some WiFi adapters that output data at 44.1KHz. In order to process those inputs, you need an Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter (ASRC). There are newer and much faster and more powerful chips in the SigmaDSP family that have a built-in ASRC--for example, the ADAU1452. These newer chips also have higher numerical precision, which can be important for low frequency filters and for managing gain. And they are about 6 times as fast and have 6 times the instruction memory. The ADAU1452 would be a much better DSP for designing a high-end system. Of course, there are a lot of other solutions that are worth consideration for a high-end system.

Coincidentally I watched that youtube video today, but I was not sure what "4.0" meant. In their videos they also always use single driver speakers in stereo as example instead of for example 2-way stereo, making it a bit confusing.

So does 4.0 mean four 2-way speakers?
Meaning 8 channels and you have the software ability to configure those 8 channels in either stereo 4-way or quad 2-way?

And for the 2.1 labeled combination in the video:

If I understand correctly Jab3 has 8 DSP channels (like the ADAU1701) then uses four of those to send to the Jab2, which can then power 2-way stereo, and then the Jab3 uses channel number 5 to power a sub.

But if stereo means 4 drivers (2x 2-way) then mono means 2 drivers (1x 2-way) and this equals to maximum of 6 drivers, with the possibility to configure it as a stereo 3-way in the software?

Am I right to think that for your 3-way experiment you connect the Jab2 to the tweeters and mids on both speakers (Left and Right) and then Jab3 connected to the woofers in both left and right speaker?

Neil Davis mentioned that the ADAU1701 only has 4 DAC channels, does the Jab3 have 8 DAC channels or does it have 4 and then sends a digital signal to a Jab3 which contains 4 more DACS? (Or in case of a mono Jab3 then it contains 2 dacs, and the stereo Jab2 contains 4 dacs, totalling 6 dacs for stereo 3-way).

Excuse me for my long post, your time is much appreciated.

EDIT: If I combine the Jab2 and Jab3, do I also need to buy the programming module or can you program the DSP using the bluetooth on the Jab2?

Hi, i think there is some confusion here. JAB2 and JAB3 are not ment for multiway speaker, but for a speaker system. One certainly can power a multiway speaker since the DSP is programmable.

2.1 in this context means two satellites and a sub. 4.0 means four satellites, no sub. Satellite is just silly name for a small fullrange or multiway speaker having a passive crossover. In the 2.1. configuration, JAB3 two outputs are combined to give one more powerfull output.

Yep, I'm runnin single three way speaker as a mono system with 2.1 JAB2+3 amplifier combination. JAB2 outputs connect to tweeter and mid and the more powerfull JAB3 bridget output the bass driver.

To power another three way speaker to make a stereo system you would need more amplifiers ;)

JAB2+3 combination can be thought as a 2 input, 3 or 4 poweramp output system with DSP routing and processing.

Edit: not sure if adau1701 in the jab3 board can be hacked for the extra 4 outputs. You should consider standalone dsp board (sure has one as well) and separate amplifiers. No hacking required.

Last edited:
Ah I see, I saw this diagram and they used stereo 2-way speakers to illustrate, but that seems to be incorrect then: https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/188510/files/131609444/qq-20170516154716.jpg

- As a solution I was thinking maybe it's possible to use two ADAU1701 DSP (containing 4 channel DAC each) and the AA-AB34181 (6 x 100 Watts 4 Ohm amplifier). So there would be one ADAU1701 board per 3-way speaker, the only thing you'd have to do I believe is make one of them filter out the left channel and the other one filter out the right channel, would that be possible in SigmaStudio?

Alternatively one ADAU1701 + a 2 channel dac would work as well, but it would be only €5 more to get two ADAU1701's instead.

- Another cheap solution would be a single ADAU1701 board, use SigmaStudio to split/crossover the audio into "Tweeter" and "Mid + Woofer", being stereo that makes four channels, which could then be send to two 2.1 amplifiers with integrated subwoofer crossover (one in each speaker of the stereo setup).

For example this 2.1 amp: FX-AUDIO M-DIY-2.1 2x TPA3116D2 Class D Amplifier Module 2.1 2x50W + 100W - Audiophonics

The only problem I see is that the specs say 80-500Hz frequency range for the sub, and I'd like to have below 80Hz available. The WONDOM amp in my above mentioned setup says it could go as low as 22Hz.

- As a solution I was thinking maybe it's possible to use two ADAU1701 DSP (containing 4 channel DAC each) and the AA-AB34181 (6 x 100 Watts 4 Ohm amplifier). So there would be one ADAU1701 board per 3-way speaker, the only thing you'd have to do I believe is make one of them filter out the left channel and the other one filter out the right channel, would that be possible in SigmaStudio?

Yes that would work.

Another cheap solution would be a single ADAU1701 board, use SigmaStudio to split/crossover the audio into "Tweeter" and "Mid + Woofer", being stereo that makes four channels, which could then be send to two 2.1 amplifiers with integrated subwoofer crossover (one in each speaker of the stereo setup).

Most often four amp channels for threeway stereo setup are used like so: one channel for tweeter + mid having passive crossover, another channel for the bass. Remaining two channels for the other side.

In general, tweeter / mid passive crossover components are much cheaper than for mid / woofer crossover. More over, you'd be able to adjust gain of the bass for baffle step compensation since it is a separate amp. Also
, no need for passive components as eq in the passive crossover unless there is some issues with mid or tweeter in the crossover region that needs to be dealt with. DSP eq can then be used to further eq the response. Best of both worlds :) Any case, if you've got speakers already try to get dsp/amp combination to suit the speakers. If you are still planning the speakers I'd suggest use the dsp/amplifier channel amount as a design parameter for the speaker.

ps. Problem with integrated subwoofer crossovers is that it will not be optimal for any speaker :D

Last edited:
Any case, if you've got speakers already try to get dsp/amp combination to suit the speakers. If you are still planning the speakers I'd suggest use the dsp/amplifier channel amount as a design parameter for the speaker.

I still have to buy drivers and build the speakers, at least for the cheap build (for a dorm room communal space). For the more "expensive" one I already have drivers.

For the cheap dorm speakers I had these in mind:

Tweeter:
4x GRS 1TM-4 - €3,45 - (1 inch 4,800 to 20,000 Hz)

Mid:
2x Dayton CE65W-8 - €6,45 - (2,50 inch 105 to 16,000 Hz)

Woofer:
2x GRS 8PR-8 - €13,95 - (8,00 inch 40 to 5,000 Hz)

Note! I was thinking of two tweeters per speaker, to spread out the sound more in a room where people sit on all sides of the room, not sure yet if that's a good idea or not.

Option: instead of dual 8" woofer, go for single 12" sub:
GRS 12PR-8 - €29,95 - (12 inch 30 to 3,000 Hz)

Option: instead of the total four tweeters go with regular 1 per speaker and maybe a more expensive tweeter:
Dayton ND16FA-6 - €7,90 - (5/8 inch 3500 to 27000 Hz)

I could try making a passive crossover between the mid and tweeter, I hadn't thought about how you can still EQ the Tweeter+Mid in DSP to make it less crucial to have the crossover/filter be perfect.
In that case a single ADAU1701 DSP board and AA-AB33184 amp (4x100 Watt 6 Ohm) would together cost €73,80 compared to the full 6 channel DSP setup of €111,70.

Last edited:
Speaker design would be better discussed on the multiway forum ;) Want party? use compression driver as tweeter and largest woofer and enclosure you can fit. If no party level required try mini karlsonator build with Vifa TC9, cheap, no tweeter and crossover required, pretty wide dispersion, great sound. Add subwoofer for bass and you could do with 2.1 amp with integrated crossover for cheapest and fastest project. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...sonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-16.html#post3722988

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Hello, that's the first time i work with DSP's and i need a (small) help:

I have 2 sure boards and a programmer,

My plan is illustrated in the image:

A dsp for a 3 way system that can do "normal" signals or "riaa" (and in a later time nagra and iec for a reel to reel player) and that can outputs to a headphone amplifier (with no eq or corrections except for vinyl eq) or to process the signal for a 3 way crossover.

The riaa curve/on off shouldn't be a problem nor the crossover for the system what i don't know how to do is how to 'connect the 2 boards i have.

Where to feed the DIG0 and DIG1 signals from the first board to the second one and how should i set the register control page in sigmastudio for the boards.

Or if would be simpler to do everything with one board and add dacs on DIG0 DIG1 DIG2 and DIG3.

Thank everyone for the help.

Last edited:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Hello, that's the first time i work with DSP's and i need a (small) help:

I have 2 sure boards and a programmer,

My plan is illustrated in the image:

A dsp for a 3 way system that can do "normal" signals or "riaa" (and in a later time nagra and iec for a reel to reel player) and that can outputs to a headphone amplifier (with no eq or corrections except for vinyl eq) or to process the signal for a 3 way crossover.

The riaa curve/on off shouldn't be a problem nor the crossover for the system what i don't know how to do is how to 'connect the 2 boards i have.

Where to feed the DIG0 and DIG1 signals from the first board to the second one and how should i set the register control page in sigmastudio for the boards.

Or if would be simpler to do everything with one board and add dacs on DIG0 DIG1 DIG2 and DIG3.

Thank everyone for the help.

Hello federicopol San,

I guess you'd better to use "TDM" format on SDATA_OUT0 port.
One more thing to advice to you, You'd better to move volume on #2 Board's final stage. The reason why is to minimize the calculation errors.

Hello CyberPit, thank you for your answer.

Hi federicopol San,

You mean one board for riaa etc and one for the crossover?

Because otherwise i can't figure out a way to control the volume of the part of the crossover on board one.

Here's my ADAU1701 3way C/D with Volume page...
DIY DSP PROCESSOR PROJECT PAGE

Yes, you can expand volumes like this way...

Attachments

• 3wayCroossoverSetting2.png
    3wayCroossoverSetting2.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 465
Last edited: