new subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
aight, my 10" daytons are fairly decent, output wise, but they are still lacking the "house shaking" bass that i like. I'm going to sell the daytons and the box (if anyone wants it) and upgrade to a single 15" setup. does anyone have any recommendations for a 15" driver to use with my amp (PE 250 watt, and if not, then i may just sell the amp as well and get the 500 watter or a 300 watter if anyone makes one)? also, are those amps 2 ohm stable as that would make things MUCH easier. any recommendations on drivers? i was thinking about a perhaps an avalance, but I am looking for a solid sql sub. hopefully under 2 bills (more depending on if the suggestion is incredible)....whatcha thinkin?

For 'house shaking' bass you're going to need to spend more than 2bills on drivers alone IMO.

But to come close to what you want vs. budget available. I'd recommend the Atlas15 in a ported enclosure using the plate amp you have now.

I've no recommendations for bass reflex enclosure tuning, not my thing.

hth,

Cyrus_s said:
For 'house shaking' bass you're going to need to spend more than 2bills on drivers alone IMO.

But to come close to what you want vs. budget available. I'd recommend the Atlas15 in a ported enclosure using the plate amp you have now.

hth,

naw i didn't mean house shaking, i just want for output for my hiphop, but i also want it to be able to complement low string bass...if that makes sense. i'm working on a 16 yr old's budget, so i need to keep the driver's price at around 200-250. i am building the box myself, so if anyone has any designs, i'd be able to throw it together. how does the atlas sound? i've only heard a 12" avalance in a CRX.

Cyrus_s said:

hth,
There are a few basshorn designs that don't use drivers that are too expensive.

Here's one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-570&DID=7

I'm working on a $500 earth shaking sub. Or at least it should be earth shaking. I got a IDMAX (used NIB) for $250, a Carver 900WRMS pro audio amp for $150, and the rest of the $$ will go to a passive radiator, and some box making materials. That ought to be LOUD on the cheap

simon5 said:
There's no 12" Avalanches yet, until you heard a prototype (unlikely hehe).

A Atlas 15 would be very good with your amplifier, tuned to around 20 Hz in a big vented enclosure, if size doesn't matter.

sry i meant 15 avalance :eek:

i'm thinking about the dayton titantic III...looks fairly solid. i already purchased the PE 1000 watt amp.

this is a subwoofer we have been working on for some time.......it uses 10 of our 11kv2 drivers ....here is a thread that talks much more about it.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11769

as far as power handeling...each driver is capable of 4-500 watts...so 4000-5000 watts of power handling.. ...we are running 1200 watts to all 10 and got the results listed on the following thread with a termlab meter

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11984

we are right over in iowa as well....as i see your in IL....not that far away

lemans23 said:
i bought the titantic 15"...some punk that i paid sent me a design for 7 cu ft. can someone else design me a box for 3-4 ft^3, tuned anywhere from 30-40? thanks. email addy is nsx797@gmail.com

You don't want it tuned that high, unless you're looking for insane SPL levels hehe! A good tuning would be around 15-25 Hz.
The 7cu.ft design was probably ok, but I understand that's a bit big for you maybe hehe!

simon5 said:

You don't want it tuned that high, unless you're looking for insane SPL levels hehe! A good tuning would be around 15-25 Hz.
The 7cu.ft design was probably ok, but I understand that's a bit big for you maybe hehe!

nah i want it tuned from 30-35. i already have my sq diy subwoofer (10" w3v2). yes 7 cubes is WAAY to big for my bedroom. i'm looking at 3-4 cubes. if i don't get the design by tomorrow, i won't be able to build it this weekend which is why i'm in a rush.

lemans23 said:
nah i want it tuned from 30-35. i already have my sq diy subwoofer (10" w3v2). yes 7 cubes is WAAY to big for my bedroom. i'm looking at 3-4 cubes. if i don't get the design by tomorrow, i won't be able to build it this weekend which is why i'm in a rush.

Tune it at 30 Hz then, because it will be way too ugly at 35 or 40 Hz...

You will need two 4" diameter flared ports 15.8 inches long for a 4 cu.ft internal box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.