• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New production 12DW7 v.s. 7247

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope. It's about the same price as 12ax7 ( talking about new tubes from JJ )

Ya I was talking NOS... I should have said. Still, a Shuguang 12AX7 is about 10 bucks. JJ 12DW7 are going for about $25 at the local shop, and NOS are $42... 6N2P are still only like $2 :) Funny enough, the only place I have a use for 12DW7 (or 12AX7/12AU7 is for voltage regulation in a phono amp. I don't use those for audio at all!

Ya I was talking NOS... I should have said. Still, a Shuguang 12AX7 is about 10 bucks. JJ 12DW7 are going for about $25 at the local shop, and NOS are $42... 6N2P are still only like $2 :) Funny enough, the only place I have a use for 12DW7 (or 12AX7/12AU7 is for voltage regulation in a phono amp. I don't use those for audio at all!

In my part of the globe the prices of ECC832 and ECC83S (JJ) is

approximate equal. And that is brand new tubes with warranty.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The sense I got from data sheets was that the originals were somewhat of an upgrade over the A_7s in noise and microphonics. ...

I never got that idea. AFAIK it was just one X and one U gut in the same bottle, for chassis where you need half an X and a half a U.

Like "meatloaf mix": half ground beef, half ground pork, from the regular bins, pre-paired for your convenience.

Oh... the 7xxx series were supposedly "industrial", which may imply Premium, but AFAIK these were mostly regular-run parts with a little more inspection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.