New PC for David McBean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading about his slowish etc older computer, i think it would be nice if we clubbed together & bought him a new PC. After all, he has devoted a LOT of his time over Many years for the benefit of others. Including plenty of people on this forum.

So how about it ? Would you contribute ? Please let us know ASAP.

I will start the ball rolling & agree to donate $100.00

UPDATE

David has clarified the situation, & he's happy with what he has, for now ;)

Last edited:
what video cards might be best for this project? Would some simulations require the number crunching power like video games? - or mainly lots of RAM ? In the US, an old Z400 Xeon can be had pretty cheap with 24GB RAM - and update to hexacore for another $45 - but the new Ryzen offer better options, and performance.

CPU and RAM is the main requirement, GPU won't make much difference unless he is planning to do a lot of rendering stuffs like games, CGI for movies or computer-animated movies.

CPU with larger internal caches
RAM with low latencies

Intel i7 if possible, so GPU can be cheapest one, it also reduces the requirement for power supply, and the PC can be extremely silent in case of desktop.

For storage the best option is the SSD with PCI-e slot like OCZ RevoDrive, but regular one might be more budget oriented. He won't need more then 128~256GB to run OS and softwares.

After reading about his slowish etc older computer, i think it would be nice if we clubbed together & bought him a new PC.

Hi Zero D,

Many thanks to you and to everyone who has responded to your post for your very kind and generous offer - it makes me feel very humble indeed.

Please be assured though, that if I felt that a new computer would help me with Hornresp, I would simply go out and buy one - I am in the fortunate position of being able to do that at the drop of a hat :). At this stage though, I would much prefer to keep using my old computer, until it finally expires, and then simply purchase a new one.

At the moment I know that new features added to Hornresp will in some cases run faster for other users than they do for me, which is good because it allows me to gauge which options are practical propositions, and which are not. If they run okay on my "worst case scenario" machine then they should work even better for users with more powerful computers.

Thanks again for your exceedingly kind gesture, but in all honesty, I would be happier if things could remain as they currently are :). Knowing that people genuinely appreciate the work that has gone into Hornresp is reward enough for me.

Kind regards,

David

While I got Ryzen and optimized bios as much as I could, I agree that for David need to go for intel cpu with their big and fast cache, and good memory controller that unlock low latency of fast ram. Ryzen waste big part of potential of fast memories due to inerent latency of their cores interconnexions.

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

perhaps you could use as "backup" a new old stock version of your trusty PC and fresh 2GB RAM :D

Rest assured, each time that an update is released, the latest Hornresp source code, which is now truly irreplaceable (I could never hope to reproduce it from scratch) is backed-up locally on a thumb drive, and is also saved off-site on two other very secure and quite separate storage platforms - I am not taking any chances with it :).

A fast machine might be good if you wanted to run FEA stuff.

Because Hornresp now caters to a very wide and varied user base across many different countries, I am reluctant to include anything in the program that would require a "high spec" machine to run successfully. I am well aware that not everyone has access to such "horsepower" :).

Kind regards,

David

I think the general intent was to give you a fun pc for "outsice of hornresp" activities

That's assuming I have spare time left after "Hornresp activities"... :).

I spend enough hours on the computer now, just dealing with Hornresp matters in one form or another (program development, testing, bug fixing, posting to diyAudio, replying to private emails from all over the place - you would be surprised at how many of those I get, and from whom).

The last thing I really need is to spend yet more time sitting in front of a screen, playing around with some fancy newfangled machine... :).

Thanks to all those who offered to chip in with whatever $ they could, and/or parts :) And to those who might have if given the chance. In only just over 24 hours we were able to have commitments of around $440.00 in total :cool: That's some going in such a short time, & shows how much David McBean & Horn Response is appreciated & valued.

@ David McBean

Well, if you say so, you da boss :D It just seemed as if you might need a new one, from what i read in the HR thread. So it's good to know that everything is ok in that department.

What is worthwhile though, is to examine what background tasks etc are always running, & also what gets loaded & runs on start up. Often things get auto loaded & run that don't need to be, & just consume resources & memory. Plus many services are auto starting that probably don't need to. I had an XP PC for years with only 4 Gb's of RAM, & was able to run all sorts of things without maxing out the CPU or RAM. That's because i disabled certain things from auto starting & running.

Here's a free SAFE program, that i used & still do, so you can use to see what's what. Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Also, i've used the info for years on this really good www, which explains what services are safe to disable etc.

Home | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com Also worth looking at Categories | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

You might be surprised how much stuff isn't actually needed, or auto running !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.