New Output Transistors for a QUAD 405 (2)

Hi guys!
I have Quad 405-2 (12565-6) with one pair of transistors RCA17556 (original) and another one 2SC1116 (not original). The amp works fine, but I want to change the transitors to MJ15003G. Can I do it safely without measurments, or it is not recommended. I have only multimeter.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would say not recommended. There are threads on here where this kind of substitution was done and there were big problems. The output stage of the Quad is uniquely susceptible to the transistor types used and the original slower devices are a part of the overall design for stability.

Interesting thread guys

Out of interest, I have one of these on the bench and ocne of the 17556 has shorted and blown the fuses. Gues it would be best to replace both 17556's on that channel - was going to go for MJ15003 - but would it be wise to change the other channel as well so taht they are matched?

cheers

Update for interest, bought 4 and replaced the broken side first. Compared the output, IMD and THD+N with the working R channel with original transistors in and both were the same. Opted in the end to save the guy £19 and left it at that. Will see what it's like testing with his set up
P

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sounds like a good result (y)

I'm not surprised there is no difference tbh but there is just the satisfaction (and more so if its your own of course) of having things matched.

If you had a preamp that used NE5532's in one channel and say LM4562's in the other would you be able to tell a difference? and would you do it ;)