New Open Baffles (Gift for friends )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those looks alright from the front, and it's terrific to see bits of wood and drivers being put to good use. Given the width, is there a lot of bass?

I've also found it hard to get a smooth transition from midbass to upper bass to midrange in my open baffles. I think so much has to do with using the most appropriate drivers in the first place.

I'm sure they're going to let your friends hear the open baffle benefits to good effect.

Simon

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I need a small L-pad on the mid-range, just enough to counter the 2dB crossover boost.
There is not as much bass as I personally like.
These woofers are still being broken in, but Q = 0.7~ they are a bit laid back.
Tilting the baffle made a big difference to integration; its just levels that need adjusting, I keep forgetting how efficient/loud these early drivers were/are.
I have a couple more of those woofers and a spare pair of the high Q 12s, so already I'm thinking I can do better.
I have another pair of 8inch Coral mid-bass I could use; about 3dB lower than these; so probably a better driver but I,m remembering that they do have a rising response that will need flattening, or second order low pass to a bigger tweeter.
Interestingly these little tweeters are now discontinued
"Shame Jaycar Shame"

I found myself using the amps bass boost function with these, all the way up so add 6dB at 100hz and they are good, good enough anyway.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Listening agrees with simulation. Nothing below 80 due to low SPL.

Attachments

• jaycar ob graph.jpg
    jaycar ob graph.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 418
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Finished

Finally finished.
Had to play with the XO ( of course ) needed to roll-off the midrange with a cheap inductor, one with high DCR almost 0.6R and a little acoustic loading of the mid-range.
I had an old Acrylic insulated sleeping bag past its prime, which has been cut up and tacked to the back of the baffle.
This seems to be just enough to bring a little more clarity to vocals.
Bass seems to be very dependent on the recording, deep bass is better than kick drum, but that's what the pre-amp controls are for.
Just listening to Lorena McKennit ' "the book of secrets" and when the deep bass notes on the Indian tabla drums are not lacking at all, neither are low note on the double bass.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I'm not really happy with these would you believe??

They sound OK, but I keep thinking I can do better, with bigger drivers in bigger baffles, so if our friends are up to the idea I would like to do another pair using 1 * 10 inch plus 1 * 12 inch woofer closer to the floor.
The 12inch just models so much better and I do have another wide range 8inch Coral I can use as the mid-range.
I can see another thread coming up but it will have to wait until we finish moving house, I am supposed to be driving a load down to Geelong today before it gets too hot, forecast for today 38, 40 tomorrow, then 41, but we can usually add 2 or 3 degrees to the forecast temperatures here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.