• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New noval tube sockets almost impossible to insert a tube

Joined 2011
Use deoxIT D5 if your sockets and tubes are older,
or deoxIT gold G5 if they are like new.

Spray some on a lintless cloth and wipe all the pins, then insert
the tube into the socket several times to wipe the contacts.

Don't spray directly into the tube socket or directly onto the tube base.
Use a cloth. "The less you use, the better it works."

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=asc_df_B00006LVEU/
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-G5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Enhancer/dp/B00FC4YO60/ref=asc_df_B00FC4YO60/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
If nothing else, Farnell should have it.
Bear in mind that some other brands of cleaners will not serve as lubricants, since they leave no residues.

This should help a lot, unless the tube and socket are actually mechanically incompatible.
I have seen a few that seemed to be so.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Found it !! :)
Just a company in the Netherlands : www.tonefactory.nl has it and I have ordered one.
Remember, spray onto a lintless cloth, wipe the tube pins, and then insert the tube into the socket several times.
After that, the tube should insert much more smoothly, although it will still be tight (which is good).
You do not want loose socket contacts.

If you get any cleaner on the plastic tube base, or on the top of the tube socket, wipe it all off.
This cleaner is also good for switches, connectors, etc. Use only a small amount at a time.
If it needs more, repeat with another small amount.

Last edited:
Are the socket contacts fork type or sleeve type? I've seen a fair number of initial insertion problems with fork-type contacts. As has been previously posted here, using a junk tube for several cycles of insertion/extraction will help loosen up the contacts. The Deoxit treatment suggested is also a good idea. I also suspect there there is a lack of standardization regarding the actual diameter of octal tube pins, so insertion pressure required could vary from one vendor/source to the other.

Edit - On reflection, I realize that most PC mount octal sockets may have sleeve-type contacts, as a PCB socket utilizing fork contacts may be more difficult to make.

Last edited: