New Markaudio Drivers

@Onform, maybe Stefan will host another show in spring?

@Jason, my problem with the Alpair's is they all sound good. However when you can a/b them against each other they all sound very different. The only real chance I did this with Stefan at one of the audio shows, we had A5 Frugel-Horn Lite / A10p in FH3 / Twin A10's in floorstanding & our A7's in sealed bookshelf.

They all had great tone and 'timbre'. They all had musicality and ample full range sound.

But as you could probably imagine;
A5, super fast, bass but not belting, felt a little struggled at volume
A7, (my favourite, obviously) best midrange & highs, tight & super fast articulation, warm bass, but not overwhelming.
A10p, (Stefan's favourite, obviously) huge sound, ample bass (too much?) had rhythm and speed but lacked the sparkle of the smaller drivers.
2x10's, Tight bass, good range, something missing in the mix.

It would be great to hear the new A11's alongside the others, and I'm still keen to explore the A7ms, having played with the new driver the imaging on it is ridiculous, to the point where I am looking around my room for other speakers. And then Pluvia 7HD's maybe the new holy grail of dynamic speed/bass/wide band listening at domestic levels.

ps: Ive just fallen a little bit in love with Roon, having ditched Spotify and going back to ripped CD's and some vinyl rips.

Roon has a great feature to use Dynamic EQ, has anyone used this, and is there a way to eq flat the range of Alpair drivers that don't always have the best response graphs

Has anyone played with it and made any Eq's that will get the generic driver flat?

If you do find a way, keep in mind that flat in room response is not pleasing to the ears. There seems to be somewhat of a consensus with a flat curve up to 1 kHz, then a linear slope down to -6 dB @ 20 kHz.
You may want to equalize to that curve, or something close to it, instead of flat.

@Jason, my problem with the Alpair's is they all sound good. However when you can a/b them against each other they all sound very different. The only real chance I did this with Stefan at one of the audio shows, we had A5 Frugal horn lite / A10p in FH3 / Twin A10's in floorstanding & our A7's in sealed bookshelf.

They all had great tone and 'timbre'. They all had musicality and ample full range sound.

But as you could probably imagine;
A5, super fast, bass but not belting, felt a little struggled at volume
A7, (my favourite, obviously) best midrange & highs, tight & super fast articulation, warm bass, but not overwhelming.
A10p, (Stefan's favourite, obviously) huge sound, ample bass (too much?) had rhythm and speed but lacked the sparkle of the smaller drivers.
2x10's, Tight bass, good range, something missing in the mix.

It would be great to hear the new A11's alongside the others, and I'm still keen to explore the A7ms, having played with the new driver the imaging on it is ridiculous, to the point where I am looking around my room for other speakers. And then Pluvia 7HD's maybe the new holy grail of dynamic speed/bass/wide band listening at domestic levels.

Excellent mini review, I love my Pluvia 7, the P7HD will be a new model?
The A10p was in the FHMK3 or FHXL?

I'm planning to buy an A7MS instead of A7.3, but im waiting for the reviews.

Hi All, I’ve been running my A11MS for a while now & I’m loving them more & more, the more I listen, the more they are giving, the midrange/vocal range is absolutely wonderful & for music listening, I’m not missing a tweeter at all, when I recently listened to live musical instruments, I realised that my previous speakers (with tweeters) were adding artificial brightness & the A11’s sound much more natural.
Caveat being that, I’m crossing them over to my bass arrays at 250hz & using Lyngdorf amplification with their RoomPerfect room correction.

It seems that the A10ms is a great option.
Which enclosure are you using?

TimbreAudio- you seem to be privy to information on yet more new drivers from the Fenlon & Co skunkworks. Was that a Biden moment in prematurely alluding to at least one of them that may be months away, or is it a combination of MA’s rather bass-ackward approach to advance notice, and of course existing resellers’ inventory levels?
I.E. - is there an official manufacturer’s spokesperson?

Just guessing that the SevenHD would be essentially the drive train of existing A7.3 packaged in the new low profile chassis that seems to be trickling through all new models?

Probably not in the spring, the room I used last time is going through some renovations, I'm hoping in the summer we can do something else though. I'll let you all know as soon as I can get some sort of date in the diary.

Scott and I have got some stuff in the pipeline that will be interesting that we can hopefully do some back to back stuff with and will def be able to have the new Alpairs.

Stefan

So, since there appears to have been a small flurry of new design work to make its way past the thought experiment stage, should this be made a sticky thread in which to discuss this latest batch of drivers* -and perhaps others such as the WW alluded to earlier- soon to be wending their way through the supply chain pipeline?

*rumor has it that some folks could be seeing samples from pre-production landing on their doorsteps within the next couple of weeks. There are of course several factors that will determine the distribution pattern, and when any particular dealer will place/receive orders for new models.

And please, Mark, Thomas et al, invest some time in updating the corporate website, now at least 5(?) years out of date - you can’t rely on dealers such as Stefan or Adam at Madisound to carry that load.

Alpair Seven HD will be essentially the existing drive train (cone, voice coil and dual suspension) of the A7.3 packaged in the new lower profile Pluvia style frame/basket. Not to be confused with the special version for the Asian market called the PHD, which happens to be a paper cone. Final pricing and availability of all new models is very much uncertain.

WW was something hinted about by Mark some time ago as a larger diameter - I seem to remember a dimension of 10” mentioned? - that would we might consider a more convention woofer. That’s something that might never happen, and frankly there’s already no shortage of excellent choices in that category.

It’d be no surprise if there weren’t some other designs on the horizon, and hopefully they’d be discussed on the anticipated updated website.