New kit with the Tripath TA2024

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New kits

Daniel,
It does look interesting! Will look forward to reports on it. Equally interesting are the SI replacement inductors. A little expensive, but cheaper than making them yourself if your time is worth anything. Will also look forward to a report on these in a before and after comparison. A similar comparison on the Amp3 could be informative as well.
Roger

Re: New kits

sx881663 said:
Daniel,
It does look interesting! Will look forward to reports on it. Equally interesting are the SI replacement inductors. A little expensive, but cheaper than making them yourself if your time is worth anything. Will also look forward to a report on these in a before and after comparison. A similar comparison on the Amp3 could be informative as well.
Roger

Roger,

I made some surch and the brand of caps used on this particular design dont look very good. All I found on the web is negative comments about their reliability. They can be replaced for sure.
I read that Chalize kit will be offered soon with some air core inductors. I was suposed to order the Autoconstruire non SMT amp today, but I'll wait to see the price of the upgrade. Keeping in mind the comment you made on how better are the SMT, I will probably change my mind and take this road.

One thing I would like to know. The SMT life duration is expected to be as good, longer or shorter then it is for regular parts ?

Regards,

Daniel

Re: Re: New kits

kanaddict said:

One thing I would like to know. The SMT life duration is expected to be as good, longer or shorter then it is for regular parts ?

Regards,

Daniel

It has been my experience that surface mount parts that are used properly within there specs are more reliable than conventional parts. This has to be due to the mechanical simplicity of most of these parts, just less to go wrong. Also the soldered area in comparison to the size is way greater than any thru hole parts. This means vibration won’t degrade the parts or connections. It also means heating will be uniform and not cause additional mechanical stresses.
There are many advantages to SM parts such as much lower parasitics. These includes resistance, inductance and stray capacitance. Makes these parts perform more like the ideal part would. Another real benefit is much less microphonics due to their small rugged structure. All in all I do prefer them except for power supply parts and coupling caps.
Roger

Re: New kits

sx881663 said:
Daniel,
Roger

I installed the Autocostruire air core inductors in my amp3 and they made a improvement in bass response in my system. I noticed that on two amps, one with auricaps on the inputs and one with some NOS Sprague PIO's. I thought they were good enough to justify ordering two more sets.

I'm using single driver speakers with a sub crossed at 40Hz using line level inputs from the preamp and I found the need to decrease the sub level by approx. 15%. I find that the sub integrates better with the speakers now as well.

Re: Re: Re: New kits

sx881663 said:

It has been my experience that surface mount parts that are used properly within there specs are more reliable than conventional parts. This has to be due to the mechanical simplicity of most of these parts, just less to go wrong. Also the soldered area in comparison to the size is way greater than any thru hole parts. This means vibration won’t degrade the parts or connections. It also means heating will be uniform and not cause additional mechanical stresses.
There are many advantages to SM parts such as much lower parasitics. These includes resistance, inductance and stray capacitance. Makes these parts perform more like the ideal part would. Another real benefit is much less microphonics due to their small rugged structure. All in all I do prefer them except for power supply parts and coupling caps.
Roger

Roger,

thanks for the information about SM parts ! I'll definityvely try an assembled kit that use SM kit.

Charlize is now offer with the air core :

http://www.diyparadise.com/charlize/charlize_aircore.jpg

From Charlize page:

"Yup! Charlize with air core inductors. Smoother, better clarity, improvement all around! At the loss of slight dynamics though, but if your speakers are sensitive enough, get this! We tried many inductors before stumbling on the perfect combo of inductance and damping factor."

My speakers are 85 dB into 4 ohm....I wonder if the lost of dynamics will be to much :confused:

kanaddict said:

Roger,

I made some surch and the brand of caps used on this particular design dont look very good. All I found on the web is negative comments about their reliability. They can be replaced for sure.
I read that Chalize kit will be offered soon with some air core inductors. I was suposed to order the Autoconstruire non SMT amp today, but I'll wait to see the price of the upgrade. Keeping in mind the comment you made on how better are the SMT, I will probably change my mind and take this road.

Regards,

Daniel

Avoid those Lelon caps like the plague:dead: These things tend to go very leaky

ohenry said:

I installed the Autocostruire air core inductors in my amp3 and they made a improvement in bass response in my system. I noticed that on two amps, one with auricaps on the inputs and one with some NOS Sprague PIO's. I thought they were good enough to justify ordering two more sets.

Hi Henry,

do you notify some lost of dynamic with the air core inductors ?
Maybe you were not attentiv to that kind of lost ?

Thanks,

Re: Re: Re: New kits

kanaddict said:

Hi Henry,

do you notify some lost of dynamic with the air core inductors ?
Maybe you were not attentiv to that kind of lost ?

Thanks,

That's a good question. I played a few selections over the weekend that have some very dynamic passages and noticed no degradation of dynamics. I'll do some more listening to evaluate it, but I really haven't perceived that to be an issue.

I'd enjoy reading if other's experiences are reflective of what I found. I honestly tried to be objective and really didn't expect to perceive any differences, but in my system there was an improvement. I'm not technically minded enough to be biased, one way or another. I do have a set of experienced ears and my speakers are very revealing. So for me, tweaking is more art than science.

Edit: Also, my speakers are pretty easy to drive, so that may be the reason I didn't hear a decrease in dynamics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.